It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:31 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wa-Handle Issue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:08 pm 

Hey everyone,

I owned a Kono HH 270mm, but ended up selling it because the back of the handle kept rubbing against my forearm. It annoyed the hell out of me. As much as I enjoyed how the knife performed, it had to go and have since moved back to western handled knives. I miss the obvious benefits of the wa-handle and will be purchasing one soon, but will go with a 240mm this time.

My questions is: If I run into the same problem, how much of the back-end of the handle can I remove before the tang is exposed? Is this a safe modification? I plan on purchasing either the Richmond AS laser or Kohetsu. I know the handles are made here in the U.S. but do not know how to contact the handle makers.

Thanks,
C. Guarin

Post subject: Re: Wa-Handle Issue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:12 pm 

usually the tang runs 3/4 of the handle. I wouldn't suggest cutting down a handle because you might weaken the strength of the handle. I would suggest getting a custom handle, maybe asking for the tang to be cut shorter and some pins added for extra strength

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kono handles can be long, like 6" long. Their tangs can be fairly long as well as most Japanese knives are like this. I usually shorten tangs when rehandling them. I usually go for a 5.5" handle or so on many knives, but I try to leave a full inch undrilled for the tang so I can cut it back if needed. If you trim back and expose the hole, you may be able to drill out the hole and put a dowel in there to seal it back up? Or see if Mark can have a shorter handle installed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

If you are comfortable doing some minor woodworking you can just cut the end off using a hack saw. If you don't hit the tang you're good to go and you can just sand it and oil it and you're done. If you do hit the tang you can cut it off and then you have two choices. Leave it and ignore it (that's what I would do) or cap it with a thin slice off what you just cut. Just cut a piece off and cap it with some glue and then finish it.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:37 pm 

Thanks for the help. Will be using a hack saw as Mark suggested. If I do somehow mess it up, there is a knife maker in my area who could fix it. Wouldn't mind a metal buttcap to put some weight on the back end.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:49 pm 

This is funny to me as I have never seen this as much of a problem, I was just playing around with my Kono on the board and I do recall this happening at work every now and again doing certain cuts but you can simply change the angle of approach whether it be in your hand and forearm to the knife or your knife to the item you are cutting. Anyway, glad you have your problem solved. Let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

CGuarin1987 wrote:Thanks for the help. Will be using a hack saw as Mark suggested. If I do somehow mess it up, there is a knife maker in my area who could fix it. Wouldn't mind a metal buttcap to put some weight on the back end.

Ya if you run into problems just let me know and I'll bail you out cheaply with a replacement. But I think it's pretty easy.

Richmond Laser

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]