It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:54 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: CCK handle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

I am looking at the CCK Cleaver KF1303 because so many good things have been said about the product. The one issue appears to be the handle. Are you satisfied that the stock handle is suitable for longer term use or do you recommend a new handle?

And if you do recommend a new handle which one is most functional and how much will be added to the cost.

As an aside I have ordered three knives from you in the last few weeks based on recommendations found on the site. Without exception, I could not be more pleased. Thank you for your great work.

Carl

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: CCK handle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Carl,

I've had one for a few years and the only thing I've done to it is rub a little mineral oil on it every 6 months. I think it's perfectly fine.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:13 am 

I have re-handled my fair share of CCK's, but to be honest..... its ugly, but the handle fits the knife and the whole package just works, I would leave it alone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:55 pm 

So, based on what I read here the order for the CCK was placed. To be honest, I was quite surprised when the cleaver arrived. The handle was fine and fit my rather large hand well. The blade was straight and showed no visible defects. It was less sharp than I had imagined, but that can be remedied with the King stones that I purchased from the site. So, all in all, another great transaction with CKTG.

I took the cleaver to the soup kitchen today to give it a baptism. My first task was to fill a 4 inch restaurant pan with medium dice yellow onions. While the CCK sliced easily through the onions, I had a major sticking problem. I sprayed a little oil on the blade and that helped for a short time. But that is not really a solution.

Anybody else have a sticking problem with this cleaver? If so, what did you do to remedy it? Thank you for all your help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

There is a spray on lacquer that they put on the blade to keep it from rusting. It will wear away but you can speed up the process by taking it off with acetone (nail polish remover). That should reduce the stickiness on blade and increase the reactivity.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:15 pm 

taking the lacquer off will help a little, but in reality, things are still going to stick, it's a large flat surface, sticktion it's just part of using cleavers. what it lacks in the release department it more than makes up for in every other aspect of cutting, especially the abilty to scoop.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]