It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masakage Koishi
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

You sell masakage knives. What is your opinion about the koishi series? Can you compare to other tsuchime pattern knives?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Masakage Koishi
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Kato is the blacksmith for this line and the knives are very good quality, hand made and cool looking. Personally I like his Kanehiro knives better since I like that sand blast finish better:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kanehiro.html

I'm not sure if the grinder used is the same guy but they're both excellent work horse type knives.

The Anryu hammered line is really nice too and it's a little less expensive and excellent quality from a tallented blacksmith in the same village. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaangy24cuha.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Compared to other tsuchime finishes it is of very good quality craftsmanship wise, but the fact that it is full kurouchi finish means that the finish will not release food quite as nice as other blades. This is a unique finish though, and you can tell the hammer pattern was done by hand because it lacks the obvious uniformity of a machine finish, something I can really appreciate from an artisan perspective. The overall quality of the knife is outstanding and feels incredibly well made. It is a good cutter, although I still feel the Yuki and Shimo series are a touch thinner, it would make an excellent workhorse.

(I was about to say these knives remind me of Kanehiro, then just read Mark's post again.... too funny)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 am 

I got the Koishi 150 mm Petty. Great steel, great balance, great look, takes a wicked edge even from an amateur like me. It has a different kind of beauty than the Kono I got at the same time. I'm just sorry I can't compare it to other knives. It's worth every penny to me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]