It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Katsushige Anryu Nakiri
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:53 am 

I know I have a lot of questions and I really appreciate all the answers so heres another one. I really like the Katsushige Anryu Nakiri 165mm. I would appreciate any info thanks.

Post subject: Re: Katsushige Anryu Nakiri
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Admin

What did you want to know about it?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:32 pm 

just a breakdown on the knife like sharpness, how i need to take care of it, ootb sharpness, what kind of metal it is etc. also the handel looks nice any info on that is great to. thank you

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasna16.html

It's stainless steel on the outside and Blue #2 as the core steel. Care is the same as many other Japanese knives. No bones, no frozen foods, no cutting on ceramic plates, no torquing the blade in the cut, etc. Only the core steel will patina a little up from the edge until the cladding covers the core steel. These need to be washed and thoroughly dried after use; do not leave them out without washing/drying after cutting or they will rust. The exposed core steel will Patina and darken with use and will have a nice contrast to the shiny stainless. From the Anryu 240mm gyuto I got to play with a bit, it will have excellent cutting properties and good food release.

Sharpness, most Japanese knives come with an edge in the 800-1200 grit range normally. Most Japanese knives shine at a 3000-5000K edge, so the edge potential is there, but may need sharpening to bring it out. This is common with most any Japanese knife; people have their own preference for the edge they put on a knife, so they put a basic starter edge on there and let the customer refine it as they wish. Mark may be able to have one of his sharpeners touch it up for you before he ships it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1.
Taz just gave you the perfect summary of pertinent information :-).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:05 am 
Forum Moderator

jim's MEGG <> I haven't used the Nakiri but I have used his Gyuto, and I have to say the Anryu is a phenomenal product. The grind on the knife was truly fun, and it falls through food like it's not there. As a mid-weight clad blade it is tops on the site...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]