It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: experienced newbie knife questions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:54 am 

been cooking for 10 years. mostly work bars but like new endevours. never owned my own knife. used mostly house knives except for some time cutting squid with a global (nice blade but not getting my money). currently using a mercer stamped fibrox. not bad. paring knife came up missing. gonna buy a knife and stones. questions: 1) can a victorinox be sharpened to Jap angles? 2) I dont have a huge budget but after stones what knife should I buy? Not a lot of access to hands on. like messermeister, tojiro, fujiyama, mac, kikuichi, misono, carbonext. I need a knife I can use now. I prep a variety of veggies (not a ton at a time), trim and butterfly chicken breasts. cut fish. cut a lot of sandwiches. I will slowly be adding to my collection. eventually a paring knife, bread knife, boning/utility. dont want carbon yet.if I buy a higher end knife is it worth it? id rather waste steel than money on a knife so I want a good one I can be proud of. im willing to swing $50-$200 on my chefs/guyoto. probably go forschner on my boning and bread knife, like a great paring knife.

Last edited by bigwoolymammoth on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: experienced newbie knife questions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:29 am 

1) can a victorinox be sharpened to Jap angles?

yes but the edge will not last as long, the edge will also chip or fold easily

2) I dont have a huge budget but after stones what knife should I buy?

depends on what you're gonna sharpen and will buy in terms of knives in the future

if I buy a higher end knife is it worth it?

for "in the kitchen" use or a work type knife, i'd limit your budget to something around $250 and below on a chef knife. so you're $50-200 is enough to get something you pretty happy.

=D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:23 pm 

im looking to spend $100-$200 on stones first. pretty sure I decided my first knife will be a gyuto. for that im willing to spend up to $200. it will be some time before I get my next knife. so should I start with something along the lines of a tojiro or fujiyama or will it be worth it to get a knife I can grow with ( $120+). given that I want a good usable knife and wish to learn to sharpen on it which knife recommendations do yall have? im a quick learner and look at sharpening as a new hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:06 pm 

Stop in at a local thrift shop, Goodwill - Value Village etc. and pick up a kitchen knife for sharpening practice. You'll find something that will fill that role for a buck or two I'm sure. Then after a little practice you'll be able to tackle your new knife like a pro.

Welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

It's never a bad idea to start with an an inexpensive knife. It might fit all your needs and you never desire to have a more expensive knife.

Something like the Fujiwara FKM, or Tojiro DP, or Richmond Artifex can be, and are, great knives that cut very well.

Starting lower also helps you appreciate the small differences that make the more expensive knives better.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:45 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:It's never a bad idea to start with an an inexpensive knife. It might fit all your needs and you never desire to have a more expensive knife.

Something like the Fujiwara FKM, or Tojiro DP, or Richmond Artifex can be, and are, great knives that cut very well.

Starting lower also helps you appreciate the small differences that make the more expensive knives better.

This advice is gold, I wish I had never found out about grinds and edge geometry, quality steel and how sharp it can get, and so on and so forth cause I remember when house knives fit the bill. The restaurant I currently work at changed this by so graciously providing us with 18$ pieces of junk rather than sending out big thick pieces of junk to have them sharpened every week or two. I now am somewhat of a knife snob and I am obsessed with everything to do with knives. The amazing thing is my cutting technique has changed very little minus the fact that I use a lighter grip, less pressure overall, my cuts are better, and I can achieve them more quickly without frustration. Fair warning here!!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]