It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: fillet knive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:16 pm 

Love this site.I have learned much about knives,steel and sharpening.I am looking for a knife for filleting large snapper,grouper,tuna and other S.Florida reef fish. prefer stainless with a durable handle.I am right handed.Budget is150.oo. THANKS Wolf

Post subject: Re: fillet knive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

WOLF <> What county are you in? I can potentially show you some...

Takayuki Hankotsu...<--link

Tojiro Gokujo...<--link

Shun Gokujo...<--link

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:28 pm 

Melampus Tanks for reply.I live in Sarasota.Forgot to mention i need a blade length of at least 10 inches.has any one used AR
tifax sujiki for this purpose?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

10YT <> Gotcha. I assumed South Florida.

I don't like filetting bottom fish w/a suji. I'll use mine on fish with backbones that don't reach up to the dorsal like Tuna & Salmon, but still not a true fan. I use my Western Deba<-- link in filet capacities when I need length.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:21 am 
Forum Moderator

10YT, I have one in the works from Lamson currently :) 11" blade, poly handle. Trying to work out the details currently, but it may be a few months or more if you can wait that long!

Prototype with Desert Ironwood handle. End ones will have pretty much the same profile, but with a Poly molded handle in Blaze Orange to keep the cost down vs the Western style handle. AEB-L Stainless steel blade. Also doing a 9" and 7", too.

In the mean time, I use a large Mioroshi Deba (240mm) on the big fish if I don't have the fillet knife prototypes on me for big fish. Only got Offshore once this year though :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:33 pm 

Taz that is exactly the profile I was looking for.the molded handle and good
steel is very hard to find.I think there is huge market for a blade like that for the offshore crowd. Thanks Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

These were designed by some guys I know down in Tx for the Offshore long range trips. Blaze Orange handle to make it visible (you can drill thru the handle at the butt end to put a cord loop on it to attach a leash so you don't drop it overboard), good stainless at a good rockwell for edge holding. Stiff blades, too...a little flex, but not too much on the bigger 2, very little flex on the 7".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

This might be a little small for you but otherwise the steel and the handle would be perfect .
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riarfikn18.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:02 pm 

As much as I hate it... A lot of my fellow cooks use something like this Victorionox knife to take out blood lines out of tuna and skin large fillets like on Salmon and Halibut. It is long and thin so works well. Next best thing may be the Richmond Cimitar, but that is still shorter than the granton slicer.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fofi12gredsl.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:31 pm 

Taz ,let me know when your 11 inch knife is available .Iam currently using Kerchaw 12 inch scimitar with grantor edge,but it feels clumsy and won't hold an edge. Tanks Wolf

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]