It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: vg-10 vs white steel vs AS?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:50 pm 

Hey guys I am kinda new to the knife geek thing and had a couple of questions.
I cook for a living and have used many type of knifes and really getting into high grade steels. But how long will an edge from white steel #2 last compare to a shun classic. I find the shuns edge last a long time and its made from vg-10. Next question is how long will an AS edge last compare to a shun.

My shun classic 10" will keep an edge for about 3 months with a lite touch up ever month (4k stone). My global's need to be sharpened every 2 months and touched up once a month. With the that said how will white steel# 2 and AS fair in length of holding an edge?

Post subject: Re: vg-10 vs white steel vs AS?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:35 pm 

AS will outlast your Shun. White #2 probably won't, but it won't be as chippy as VG10.

Keep in mind, the characteristics of a steel are mostly brought out through heat treatment, so it depends WHOSE steel you are talking about, not just WHAT steel.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:17 am 
Site Admin

Amen Eamon. :)

BTW you say Eamon's name AYE MON. Just say hey man in a Jamaican accent. hahah

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:43 am 

Haha indeed. Or just say the word like you are in Galway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:42 pm 

That is a fun question. Regarding knife steel their are several different aspects regarding edge holding. One we have the concept of wear resistance. Typically wear resistance is influence by both hardness and composition. For example, steels with higher carbide content such as VG-10, CPM-154, CPM-S90V, M390 on upward will demonstrate greater wear resistance. However, edge holding is also influenced by what is called edge stability. As an edge wears how it degrades is influenced by multiple factors such as carbide tear-out etc. Personally for kitchen use I like a more acute edge 30 degrees and below. My Murray Carter has around a 16-18 degree included edge and is made from white #1. Myself and some others believe that low carbide steels such as White and blue steel, 52100, AEB-L, etc provide some of the best compromise of characteristics for kitchen knives. They can tolerate lower edge angles, and their lower wear resistance is not a factor in the kitchen.
Personally, I really like Carter's White #1, Watanabe's Blue#1, and Moritaka's AS knives all will hold a more acute and finer edge longer than VG-10. I do have some classic Sun's, in fact I have had a Sun 6.5 inch Santuko for 6 years now. However the Shun VG-10 cannot tolerate below 28 deg. inclusive without becoming very chippy. So for me it would be based on you habits and what you are wanting. If you want the finest edge I would go with White#1. If you want more wear resistance Blue #1 or Blue Super (AS).

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]