It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Artifex extra tall vs Addict
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I am trying to decide between these two knives.

1. Richmond Addict 2 AEBL 240mm Gyuto
blade length: 242mm
total length: 361mm

2. Artifex Extra Tall 240mm Gyuto
blade length: 242mm
total length: 361mm

For both knives, the blade depth at base is listed as 54.91mm.

I would prefer the Addict but wanted to check on the handle length and confirm blade depth.

I am 6'5" tall and have reasonably large hands so the blade depth is what has drawn me to these two knives as they appear to have the same depth.

1. Can you confirm this is the case - ie they are both the same depth?

Based on the specs though, the handles appear to be the same length. Both are 119mm if I subtract blade length from total length. However in the photos the Addict looks to have a longer and large handle.

2. Could you confirm if this is the case or not?

3. Also when do you expect the Addict to be back in stock?
4. And also when do you expect the Richmond Artifex Honesuki 165mm to be back in stock?

Many thanks,

Will

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Artifex extra tall vs Addict
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Will,

Yes the blades are basically the same so they should be the same height.

The AEB-L addicts are on the shelf without handles installed. I'll try and have Isaiah do them in the next week: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riad2ae24gy.html

The Richmond Honesukis are in production and we should have them in the next couple weeks. They're almost done. We're also getting the sujis at the same time which are also sold out.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Addict 2 handle is around 5" long, 7/8" tall and around 3/4" wide. It's a bit too small for my tastes personally. The Artifex Ex Tall is the same blade shape as the Addict, but with the Western Artifex standard handle. For a Wa for a 240mm blade, I like around 5.25"-5.5" long handle, with a bit more height and width to it than the stock handle. If you have big hands, you will find both the handles on the Addict and Ex Tall Artifex a bit small.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:35 pm 

I have the Artifex extra tall, I'm 6'4" with very big hands and I don't have any trouble with handle. Then again I pinch grip, so the handle size doesn't matter for me too much. I could see having some trouble if I gripped the whole handle. With a pinch grip I really like the feel of the handle actually.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:50 am 

Many thanks to Mark, Luca and the Moderator for their feedback. It is very helpful.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]