It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:54 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Making the jump
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:58 pm 

I've recently learned to sharpen and now in the market for a fairly high quality wa gyuto. Here's my info
Right handed home cook
Stainless, semi or clad. My environment is not one that would allow for a highly reactive knife
Learning to sharpen but getting better at getting a nice edge
Wa handled all the way. Prefer on the lighter side. Have a Mac Pro that I really like but am looking for lighter and wa handled
Price under 300
I keep coming back to the Richmond laser Aebl and kono hd but am by no means married to these choices.
Thoughts ?

Post subject: Re: Making the jump
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Both the Kono HD and Richmond AEB-L Laser are lasers.....so long as you understand that and that's what you're after, I see no reason to try and persuade you away. They're both fantastic laser's and I'd have a hard time picking between them.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:21 pm 

It's not that I want a laser per say but I like a lighter knife. I'd say somewhere around 180g and under. My Mac Pro is 225 g and having arthritis can sometimes feels a little heavy when doing prep for bigger meals
I have a victorinox that I use for heavier stuff so I won't be using this knife inappropriately.

I like a profile that has a good amount of flat area, kind of hard to tell from pictures but looks like neither one has a lot of belly

What are thoughts on the Masakage yuki, not sure how heavy it is

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:43 am 
Forum Moderator

Kono HD 240mm Funayuki: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd240gynew.html Funayuki in this case refers to the blade profile, not the single bevel grind. These are double bevel with a pointier tip and flatter edge profile.

Kohetsu 240mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu24gy.html If you can wait till it arrives, I have the 210mm and it's awesome! Very very lightweight, but they nailed the grind and HT, I would say it performs on par with the Konosuke HH/HD/White #2 in terms of cutting performance. Mine has held it's edge nicely, no chipping and not to bad to sharpen, either. The exposed carbon steel at the edge will patina, but it's not too bad to deal with compared to a full carbon blade.

Sakai Yasuke Swedish Stainless: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yusuke.html 4.9oz...very very light!!

Masakage lines seem to get good reviews, and I am guessing it would be fairly light weight as well compared to you other knives.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:56 am 

So after reading until my eyes bleed I've narrowed it down. My criteria for choosing a knife is as follows
1. ease of sharpening (since I'm still learning I want something I am likely to be successful with. Just as a point of reference I recently picked up a Fujiwara nashiji petty and it felt amazing on the stones)
2. Weight (I'm pretty sure all these meet my criteria, loose cut off is 180g for 240)
3. Sharpness ( I'm pretty sure the limiting factor here will be my ability to sharpen) and grind
4. Appearance (totally personal)
5. Edge retention (I'm a home cook so unless I'm mistaken this shouldn't be too noticeable to me....right?)

Here's my list in no specific order

1. Konosuke hd2 gyuto or funayuki not sure which
2. Richmond laser aebl rosewood handle. Anything about this handle I should know?
3. Masakage yuki (looks keep calling me)
4. Masakage shimo. Is this stainless clad? Is it with the premium over the yuki?
5. Sakai yusuke (seems to get love on the forum, not sure if its the stainless model people are talking about though)

Any input would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:23 pm 

I have the Sakai Yusuke 240 white #2 and its a great knife! The specs and sizes on the Swedish Stainless and the White #2 seem identical other than the steel flavor. The white#2 is less reactive than other carbon blades that I have. The weight on mine is just under 5oz. It is a light wt. laser and is an easy knife to use all day long! The blade geometry and handle fit n finish is A+ . The blade is stiff and rigid considering it's light weight. Easy and fast to sharpen and edge holding is good. The stainless version should behave similarly. I was waiting to buy the Kono white#2 which was and still is "out of stock" when I came across the Yusuke. It has proven to be my "go to" light wt. workhorse. I have a Goko 240 if I need a beefier blade. I can highly recommend the Yusuke! Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:48 pm 

Since you already seem to have a connection with the yuki you should go that direction, go with your gut the first time out. Besides, this is not the last knife your going to buy! It's a long way down after you make the jump! :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]