It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kono HH/HD vs Fujiyama
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Mark-

So was wondering about one thing with Konosuke knives. It seems that the HH and HD are more factory made, although still awesome, and the ginsanko are more like the fujiyama, and hand made. Do you feel that is true?

Also, do you feel the Sakai Takayuki Ginsanko is equal or better than a Konosuke?

Thanks.

-Justin

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Kono HH/HD vs Fujiyama
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

The HD and HH knives are made by laser cutting flat pieces of steel (they may water jet cut I'm not sure and it doesn't matter) and then they are shaped on a big wheel. The heat treat is done a little differently too.

The Fujiyamas are hammered out of bar stock and then ground in a similar matter. This is why they are a little thicker at the spine.

So, if you consider a pneumatic hammer to shape vs a laser jet more hand made then yes they're more hand made than the HH/HD. Personally I consider this more hand made.

The Takayuki Ginsans are made in a similar way to the Fujiyamas and the quality is similar though the grinds are different on each knife. The Kono has a really showy type of large bevel that's really cool looking. I think they're both great knives. BTW I have ordered some Kono Ginsan knives with Yew handles (they call the wood "Ichi"). I know some people would prefer these at a lower price point than the western hybrid handles. They should be done and delivered in a couple months.

Post subject: Re: Kono HH/HD vs Fujiyama
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Mark-

So why I am asking so many questions and am so picky is because I want a set of knives, most likely konosuke, that are fairly unique and really fit me. Also, I love knives and purchase a fair amount of them. Anyway, I really want to know what the combination of yew wood and blonde ferule would be like, as opposed to ho wood and blonde, but also am not sure what blade I like the most; fujiyama, ginsanko, hd, etc... So what I am thinking before I get a custom gyuto in on of these styles and then wonder what the other would have been like, I think I would like to get one of each knife, but as 150mm pettys. It would be Konosuke 150mm HD petty with ho wood handle and blonde ferule. Konosuke 150mm Ginsanko petty with yew wood handle and blonde ferule. And Konosuke 150mm Fujiyama petty in with ho wood and blonde ferule. All with sayas. And last but not least, for the Fujiyama, do you refer white 1 or blue? I am leaning toward white 1. Thank you.

-Justin

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]