It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bread Knife
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 am 

I wont dive into the list of specified questions for a knife recommendation. I've got a decent idea what I'm doing and I've narrowed it down to two knives.

Here's the back story: My mom has gotten RRREALLY into baking bread lately. At one point in time, she had a Henckels bread knife. It probably would have served her perfectly fine, but my stepdad was "helping" and ran it through the ridiculous " plug into the wall" knife sharpener I've been trying to throw away behind his back for the past few years.

So, mom needs a decent bread knife. Being the son that's infatuated with knives, I feel like I should probably buy her one?

Tojiro ITK bread knife or Artifex bread knife?

I know nothing about the Tojiro. It sounds like VG10? I'm pretty partial to AEB-L and the moisture resistance of G10, so the Artifex is where I'm leaning.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Bread Knife
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:43 am 

The Mac sure does have a good rep not to be on your list. I'd get it before the Trojiro. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/macsubrkn.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:50 am 

Yeah, I've heard a little about it. I'm gonna be real, though. I'm not spending $100 on a knife that's gonna get ninja sharpened by my step-dad in a 110v multi-stone super friction infomercial hyper sharpen tin-can cutting sharpening system. I know it's going to happen eventually, so I'm going for biggest bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:07 am 

In that case I'd get a Ginsu! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:08 am 

Tojiro. It's THE best bread knife for the price on the market.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:59 am 
Forum Moderator

If the knife is going to get ninja sharpened and possibly messed up, then you might want to consider the Victorinox bread knife http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fowabrkn10.html. I have one and it's a good knife. Not quite on a par with the Artifex or Tojiro, but it's a good performer nonetheless. Just my .02

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:47 am 
Forum Moderator

A very shiny $.02

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:00 pm 

Both the MAC and Tojiro are excellent knives, I haven't tried the Artifex. They exhibit more similarities than differences, therefore the differentiator is really cost. For a bread knife, the Tojiro is hard to beat at its price. I personally have the MAC, but that's because the Tojiro wasn't around when I bought mine way back when. The price of the MAC has also increased considerably over the years (bought mine for $59). Maybe it's me, but I'm not as concerned about steel preference when it comes to bread knives. As long as it's made of a decent stainless with scalloped edges, I'm happy. Surprisingly, I've yet to have to sharpen my MAC and it still slides through bread with great ease, but I also use it for just that single task.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, I was gonna say the Artifex because I think it would hold it's edge better with a slightly better steel.....however, the Ninja sharpening system makes me want to say the Victorinox. :o

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:22 am 

I think victorinox is the way to go. I love AEB-L, but i cant get past the certainty that it will get dragged through something with 110v going through it.

Thanks y'all!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next