It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Global knife
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:51 pm 

Okay. What is the thing with global knives. Are they good or bad. Many of my friends only have Globals and thinks that they are the best Japanese knives. But how good are they?

Post subject: Re: Global knife
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:08 pm 

It's a knife. It's not a great knife. It's pretty much over priced manufactured knife. You can look up many of post on this forum of knife junkies who have either bought or tried about every type of knife who completely trash talk global knifes and specific on why they suck. I have tried them out, I personally never used one that is sharper than my knife and I use mainly Aeb-l steel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:24 pm 

As far as J-knives are concerned to a knife nut they suck. As far as the "average" kitchen knife goes to the "average" know nothing about knives cook goes, they're pretty nice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 pm 

To understand the Globals you should see them in their context. They were the first Japanese knives meant for a Western general public used to very soft heavy German blades. In the time of their introduction, mid 80's, the Globals were revolutionary in the eyes of that same general public because of their low weight, sharpness out of the box, flat profile, good geometry. Please note their in our eyes soft steel is very forgiving: people hadn't to change their poor habits too much. Add to that the easy availability and appealing design and you understand the commercial success.
It has never been a knife for the little few.
Since their introduction, a lot of much better knives have become
available to a broather public as well. So, the Globals have become somewhat outdated, but were an introduction to better knives for a lot of people. Still, Globals are IMHO much better knives than their Germans counterparts.
Personally, I don't like their steel -- sharpening them is not exactly very funny, and I'm not enchanted by their design. A few of their knives are -- within their limits --great performers, though. I have especially the G2 and GS5 in mind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, what Benuser said. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Well said Benuser. They're descent knives but the steel is softer than most of us like these days so the edges on them tend to roll easily if you go steep with them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]