To whom it may concern,
I'm a young prep cook looking to acquire my first high quality knife, I found the CKTG website via the Youtube channel of MrKnifeFanatic. ( http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKnifeFanatic
1. Are you right handed? - Yes, Right Hand Dominant
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) - Gyuto/Chefs Knive, maybe a santoku.
3. What size knife are you looking for? - 210mm, maybe 240 if it the extra length isn't unwieldy
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? - I don't know a lot about steel but carbon steel seems to get sharper then SS, I'm willing to put in the time to keep is maintained.
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? I've never used a Japanese knife before, but as long as it feels good in the hand.
6. How much did you want to spend? - 150 to 250 USD
7. Do you know how to sharpen? - Not Yet, I'm still mastering honing.
More information below
The criteria of the knife I'm looking for [in order of importance] is a 7 or 8 inch all around Chefs Knife/Gyuto/Santoku, I'm right hand dominant. Next should be the level of sharpness that the blade can attain, followed by how easily it is to sharpen and hone, edge retention is very important too but I am willing to put in the effort to keep my knife in peak condition. Especially if I'm dropping a pretty penny on my petty salary. [Say that ten times fast!]
I'm leaning towards getting a "laser" but every other knife video I've viewed on MKF's channel has given me googly eyes. ( * 3 *)
I can appreciate the beauty of damascus steel and fine craftsmanship, but aesthetics are at the bottom of my list. If the handle is universal so I can throw the knife at my co-workers in a pinch, that's a plus, [poor wording much? Hahaha.] but that aspect is the least of my concerns. I'll be using the knife, it should be right for me.
The two knives I've been looking at are:
Richmond Laser Aogami Super http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5RW7fDLVcY
Sakai Takayuki Damascus Gyuto [It's pretty, but does it perform as well as a the Richmond Laser Aogami Super? It got a lot of praise in that video.] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiDxJnN ... PX2wU4pFjg
The Kono HD series has also caught my attentionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTHD2J2za6Y
Or would you recommend something else? I'm looking for the absolute best quality knife I can get for around $230. I'm sure I'll get a great knife no matter what I buy...but I want to get the right knife for me, and unfortunately I don't have a way of putting any of them in my hand for a day of testing.
I'll provide any other information you might require, I hope to hear from you soon.