It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Richmond Laser Aogami Super 240mm Gyuto vs Goko
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:08 pm 

Not too long ago I was super set on saving up for the Goko. I still really, really love that knife (based on MrKnifeFanatic's video review(s)), but now I feel torn between the Goko and the Richmond Laser Aogami Super (especially since it's now back in stock). The metals are different, so I know that I'm not comparing apples to apples, but, if anyone could give me a list of pros and cons of the two, I'd really appreciate it. I do work in a professional kitchen, so the knife would be used for all sorts of things, and used regularly, so durability, edge retention, and wear resistance are important. I think I may also remember reading something about how the handle of the Goko was surprisingly thicker (?), I think? So, keeping in mind that I'm a rather short (5'4") woman with proportionately-sized hands, the balance of the knife and the handle's width may also make a difference.

But, if anyone has used or own/ed both, please let me know.

(Mark, I wish that you'd distribute some of your knives to brick & mortar stores, or, at least to one of my culinary instructors (who also has a mobile knife sharpening business) so that people could try out your knives and feel them in their hands. But, also, because I've got a rather never-ending case of knife-envy and seeing your knives in person would be awesome)

Thank you all for your help (hopefully)! :)

Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser Aogami Super 240mm Gyuto vs Goko
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:59 pm 

I have the Richmond laser aeb-l and I love it. I work in a professional kitchen. It is grind so good it gets unbelievable sharp and stay that way for about two weeks. It could go longer but I like to keep my knives nice and sharp. And the best part you don't have to worry if it's got food, water, what ever because it's stainless. Which is nice in a professional environment because that is one less thing I got to think about in the controlled chaos going on around me. At home I use aogami and it's nice. Any way that is my 2 cents

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 pm 

...one of my culinary instructors (who also has a mobile knife sharpening business)...

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:52 pm 

The AEB-L sounds like a good suggestion for a working setting....but for even better edge retention, choose a steel with very high wear resistance. Like powder steels...
My CM-154 jackknife, for instance, has incredible edge retention. Far better imo, than something 'harder'...like Aogami...although the ease of sharpening with Aogami is a blessing.

Powder steels like M390, ZDP189, SLD, S90V, etc....have high wear resistance. And actually, another good suggestion imo, is the HD steel from Konosuke.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 am 

Another thing is price...I'm on a line cook's budget, so around $200 is max...

(also, I promise that my old instructor is pretty legit)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Steel versus steel (in this case White #1 versus AS) should not be a major factor. AS will hold an edge slightly better and white #1 will get slightly sharper....but neither is night and day different from the other.

The biggest difference(s) is going to be in the grind....and not far behind is the handle.

Let's tackle the later first.....the AS Laser's handle is better by a noticeable margin. If the handle construction matters to you (it doesn't to me) I would take this into consideration.

Second...the grind. The grind on both is very good, albeit different from each other. The grind on the AS Laser is going to be thinner....the Goko will be slightly thicker than the Laser.

So, you have to decide if you want a thinner ground knife with a better handle, or a slightly more robust knife with a so-so handle.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:22 pm 

But how thin is the thin grind on the laser? I read the info on the product pages, and watched the videos for both knives, but what I mean is what will it stand up to? I'm not going to be cutting through bone with any of the knives. And I guess reactivity is somewhat important, if one is slightly less reactive than the other. At the end of the day, a relatively sturdy and versatile knife is what I'd like, between these two. But, if there's another knife that is in the same price range, but better (steel, grind, handle, weight, style, etc.) by leaps and bounds, I'm all ears.

I know that "better" can be relative, so thank you all for your input.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

IMO the answer to "what will it stand up to" is "It Depends". It depends on your knife skills and technique when using a thinner blade. Melampus and BDL can elaborate more eloquently than I ever could on this subject. If you look back though their posts you'll find their take on using lasers.

Some people could break down hard squash with a Kono HD laser, while others shouldn't get anywhere near a laser. It really depends on your skill and knowledge, at least IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

The issue with cutting a squash with a laser is lateral torque on the blade. If you twist that knife as you cut, you're liable to chip the blade more on a very thin (i.e. laser) knife.

I cut squash, melons, etc. and generally wreak havoc on my lasers with no ill effect. Granted, that's in my home where I'm not under pressure to perform "X" number of tasks an hour.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:44 am 

Then I guess that settles it! Richmond Laser it is! ...I think

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next