It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond Fanatic Thin
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,
I live in Bangkok, Thailand, which is built on a tropical swamp. I could probably survive with a go-to knife that's carbon steel but I do find that rust is always an issue (no aircon in my kitchen!). Thus I'm thinking AEB-L would be the ideal steel for my go-to knife.
My first and most important question is this: What are the differences between your Fanatic Thin and the rest of teh Fanatic line? is it just the western handle? I think the Fanatic may be the perfect knife for me as its flat profile will also be useful for making noodles, and I like the spatula-like aspect of Chinese cleavers generally.
Alternatively, I may chicken out from having a cleaver as my go to knife and get either an Artifex or Konosuke HD2 gyuto. Do you think HD2 would be corrosion-resistant enough? I don't mind patina but i'd hate to go out of town for a couple of weeks only to find my knife had rusted. Rust is really an issue here. Even some stainless pots have occasional rust issues.
I'm waiting for confirmation that I have a new job; once I have that I'd like to get my go-to knife, and a MAC bread knife. Any idea when the rest of the Fanatic line will be in stock?
Sincerely,
Jeff

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Richmond Fanatic Thin
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

Stick with stainless. The HD may react if it's in a salty air environment that is very humid. The Fanatic and Artifex should be fine.

Or if you like the Konosukes try the HH line. That one is fully stainless.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Richmond Fanatic Thin
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:51 pm 

Next question: is there any difference between the Fanatic thin and the rest of the Fanatic line besides the handle? in other words, how similar thickness, hardness and profile between them?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]