It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help me choose a good petty knife
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hello there, I was wondering about the availability of a few of your petty knives.

Richmond Aogami Super Laser Petty 150mm

Itto-Ryu Rentetsu Hand Forged White #1 Petty 150mm

The other petty's I am also considering are:

Moritaka AS Petty

Richmond Laser Petty (AEB-L)

Tanaka Damascus Petty 150mm

Masakage Shimo Petty 150mm

At this point, am I just nit picking? I mean, are the differences in terms of cutting performance 1/2 % here and there, or is there more behind it?

I know AEB-L is all stainless, which I adore, then again I've never had a stainless knife like any on your website.. However, how does your Laser AEB-L compare to your "Laser" Aogami Super? Again, are we splitting hairs here, in terms of performance?

I'm anxious to hear your response! I haven't read, or seen a lot of information about the Itto-Ryu knives in general; either on your forum or on google, except "for sale" ads.. How well is this knife made? The blade shape has me interested!

Thanks for your time,
-Nick

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Help me choose a good petty knife
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Before I start, we're going through all our shop by knife type sections and organizing them so they're more helpful and also making subsections so it's easier to look. Finally we're trying to add all the items for a particular knife style so people can shop more easily using these sections. A good example is the petty section. Not quite done but we've split them by size and are adding in the ones that were missing:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/petty-knives.html

The Itto-Ryu is a very cool and interesting knife. It's made by a blacksmith and his brother in a remote area near Miki. He uses 60 year old steel from old railroad ties and ship chains for the cladding and it has a great look to it. I don't have the pettys on order currently so you're out of luck.

My Aogami lasers are finished and about to get handles installed and then they'll be ready for sale. Next week is my guess.

All of the other ones you chose are really good so just pick one you like. I tend to go for the small blacksmiths so Moritaka, Masakage and Tanaka would all be cool knives to own and use and they all perform very well.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the response Mark!

How about availability of this knife?

Masakage Yuki Petty 150mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayupe15.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Couple months.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

First, a statement.......I've not seen all of the specific petty's you've asked about but have seen other knives from these series....my comments are based on this knowledge.

Of the one's you listed so far....I'd get the AEB-L Laser.

I like my petty's thin and stainless....and I love AEB-L.

The others are all quite nice as well. However, you're not splitting the hair too fine. There are definitely differences between this lot. You've got stainless clad carbon, kurouchi, full stainless, and carbon clad carbon knife construction going on in that list.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:55 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:Hello there, I was wondering about the availability of a few of your petty knives.

Richmond Aogami Super Laser Petty 150mm

Itto-Ryu Rentetsu Hand Forged White #1 Petty 150mm

The other petty's I am also considering are:

Moritaka AS Petty

Richmond Laser Petty (AEB-L)

Tanaka Damascus Petty 150mm

Masakage Shimo Petty 150mm

At this point, am I just nit picking? I mean, are the differences in terms of cutting performance 1/2 % here and there, or is there more behind it?

I know AEB-L is all stainless, which I adore, then again I've never had a stainless knife like any on your website.. However, how does your Laser AEB-L compare to your "Laser" Aogami Super? Again, are we splitting hairs here, in terms of performance?

I'm anxious to hear your response! I haven't read, or seen a lot of information about the Itto-Ryu knives in general; either on your forum or on google, except "for sale" ads.. How well is this knife made? The blade shape has me interested!

Thanks for your time,
-Nick

I am in the same situation and very interested in some of the exact same petty's for home use as a professional cook to be somewhat of a showpiece because I already have great knives in my roll, just can't pull the trigger and I am already between two gyutos.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have a Tanaka Damascus 150 in VG-10 and TAZ is right. It's got a fantastic grind and profile. As Melampus has mentioned, it's got nice height for a petty, but loses that height towards the tip, resulting in a more precise tip. This is versus the Masakage and other pettys that hold their height longer towards the tip.

As usual, Melampus is spot on with his advice. I really like the profile on the Tanaka. The darn thing is a 6" scalpel - I mean that in a good way. :-) If you are OK with the fully reactive blade on the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus, it's a killer knife at a good price.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]