It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:00 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 210mm gyuto for student
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Mr Richmond,

I am a father of a budding chef who is in culinary school at the CIA. As you might image we are very proud that he made it into the school but the costs are quite high so I look to cut costs where ever possible. One of the chefs, that is a primary instructor, suggested that we come to your site rather that use the school store for cutlery. My son is looking at the Tojiro Hand Forged Damascus Gyuto 210mm as Chef suggested but the $239 might prove a bit prohibitive. I asked the Chef if the less expense Gyuto who be a good alternative but he said that the Damascus makes a big difference.

I am also looking to purchase the Tojiro DP Damascus Santoku 165mm for him as well. That said is they any discount you can give on the Gyuto?

Thank you for any consideration you can give.

Regards,

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 210mm gyuto for student
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

Let's try and save him some money on the knife.

Does your son like carbon steel knives?
Does he want a wa handle?
Does he know how to sharpen?
Tell me the price you want to pay for each knife?

Once I know these answers I'll make your son happy.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:13 pm 

Well, here's the thing. Damascus usually nods the head towards a better made blade when comparing walmart cutlery to high end cutlery. However it doesn't make a performance difference that is noticeable.

If you are on a tight budget I recommend the Artifex line. Great steel that will sharpen up fantastic and will hold that fantastic edge for quite a while.

Link: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21.html

If you want to spend a little bit more money you could go with the Kohetsu knife. It requires a little bit more care but the performance gains are worth it.

Link: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu21gy.html

Another budget option could be a Fujiwara. This has a true western handle with a full metal bolster, the steel is also extremely corrosion resistant.

Link: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmgy21.html

This Tojiro is the same story.

Link: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html

What I'm getting at here is almost anything you see on the site is a great product. You just have to be concious of the fact some knives may require more care than others.

Another thing, a Santoku may be appealing at first, however a pointed tip is much more versatile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Does your son like carbon steel knives? Chef does not recommend because of chipping. He prefers Damascus
Does he want a wa handle? He is use to Western handles but does like Wa but never owned one
Does he know how to sharpen? Yes he has a tri- sided commercial stone
Tell me the price you want to pay for each knife? Tojiro Hand Forged Damascus Gyuto 210mm if possible I can afford $170. For the Tojiro DP Damascus Santoku 165mm $70. As I am buying them for him it is really my budget that is the concern. I cannot thank you enough.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

The Tojiro is a good stainless santoku and it's a good price so that would be fine if he wants one.

I think you can do better for your money with the gyuto choice. For instance I would choose this Masakagi Mizu http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mamigy21.html over that Tojiro any day of the week plus it's only $165.00 instead of $240. If you think your son might enjoy a wa handle this is a great one to try. The steel is higher quality and the knife is hand made from a small maker. His school mates will be jealous especially if he know how to sharpen it.

If you have any funds left over get him a japanese water stone. We sell a combination stone from Imanishi that I'm very fond of: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html
Those old try stones are not my favorite. They don't cut steel particularly well and they load quickly. We used to sell them but we discontinued them a couple years ago.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:49 pm 

Congratulations to your son. I can't speak to that particular knife, as I haven't used it, but there is a large selection of great options here. As Lunatic says, almost anything on the site is great product, bearing in mind some pieces are rather specialized.

There are many knives I hear suggested consistently around here both for people on a tighter budget and for people in professional kitchens, and many of those do overlap. Lunatic has outlined the common ones. I have not heard much about that particular Tojiro, but I think there are many other less expensive choices that would be just as good or even more suitable.

The Tojiro you are looking at is a carbon-steel core. It will therefore patina and is vulnerable to rust. Good knife care habits render this a minor point, but it is worth considering whether stainless or semi-stainless is a better option. The damascus pattern on the Tojiro does not reach the cutting edge. It is only a cladding, and therefore it does not itself affect chipping.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:52 pm 

Can someone link to the Tojiro were discussing here. I am not seeing it :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:56 pm 

I believe it is this one:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tohafodagy21.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

I mean no disrespect to Chef or you, but evaluate the advice you'll get here from people who know a lot about the intricacies and idiosyncrasies of Japanese kitchen knives. Carbon steel in and of itself does not make a knife edge "chippy". This can be a result of the steel composition, heat treatment, edge bevel characteristics, user techniques, etc. Damascus cladding in and of itself does not necessarily make a knife more non-stick. The grind or tapering of the blade from spine to edge has a lot of effect on the performance and non-stick characteristics. Certain types of cladding such as hammered, Nashiji or other textured finishes can help food release as well.

Many experienced professionals here will recommend a good light to medium weight 240mm Gyuto as a #1 all around tool ITK. Another knife many use when working a line in a pro setting, where space is usually limited is a light 210 Gyuto. The other 2 common knives are a 150mm Petty for smaller items and detail work, and a 3-3.5" paring knife for paring duties.

IMO a 210 Gyuto and a Santoku are just too close in size and capabilities to spend the money on both if you're trying to maximize your return.

If your son is not working yet and will be in training for a while, I'd start with the 240 Gyuto, 150 Petty, and a paring knife.

You don't need to spend a ton of money to get really good knives. A sharpening stone or two will be worth the investment as well and allow him to keep his knives sharp and performing their best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:08 pm 

Damascus is about aesthetics and does nothing to help performance.

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next