It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Honesuki wanted
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

I'm looking to get a good boning knife to replace my low-end boning knife. I'll mainly be using it for chicken, duck and turkey, maybe the odd game hen, and possibly occasionally something like deer or moose, but those last ones would be rare enough that they aren't a major factor in the decision (like once or twice a year). I'll generally either be skinning and breaking down birds and then removing bones, or deboning them whole for stuffing, so I never need to cut through bone, but I do need something that can follow the curve of a bird's ribs without binding or leaving too much meat behind.

I've read in several places how honesukis are better for chicken, but I don't quite understand why, and I don't know if deboning birds whole is ever done in Japanese cooking. I'm leaning toward a hankotsu since it's narrower, but I could be convinced otherwise.

I'd prefer stainless steel for this knife, so I'm trying to choose between the Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef hankotsu and the Richmond Artifex hankotsu. Is there much practical difference between these two? Is the Sakai Takayuki that much better than the Richmond to justify the price difference?

Mike

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Honesuki wanted
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

I don't think they're necessarily better. They're made for the purpose but some people are particular about what they use and some get used to a certain style knife for doing specific tasks like boning poultry and then they reference everything they try to what they're used to. I've seen some guys use cleavers for boning work and were amazingly adept and fast at processing chickens with it but that would not be the first thing I would grab.

Back to your question, if you want to try a good, low end hankotsu, the 2 you mentioned will work well for you. There is a heavy asymmetric grind on the Takayuki which is common on these type of knives and if you're left handed I would recommend you try mine instead. The Takayuki has a bolster on the knife which I like a little better than my knife. I prefer the Micarta over the wood scales on my knife so there are some minor features to consider when comparing them. The steel used on both are similar if not identical.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have, and use, both a hankotsu and a honesuki. I prefer the honesuki for birds, the hankotsu for pigs and cows when it comes to proteins.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mike, also check out the new Kanehide Bessaku knives. Very impressive for the $$. I just put up videos on them. Look for my post in the videos forum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I'm right-handed, so no issues with an asymmetrical grind. The reason I was considering a hankotsu is for things like tunneling out the leg bone of a turkey or separating the meat off the back of a chicken without piercing the skin; the narrower blade and lack of heel point seem like they would be more suited for that. That said, I've never held a hankotsu, so I don't have any experience backing that opinion up.

The Kanehide hankotsu looks like an appealing option, especially at that price. How does its steel compare to the AEB-L in terms of performace? Would "semi-stainless" be something like D2 steel, where you make sure it's clean and dry when you're done, but don't need to wipe it every time you put it down?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

MMP -its the same steel used in the highly lauded Kikuichi TKC line of knives. Really good stuff. You shouldn't need to wipe every time you put it down. You might get some light patina/stains if moisture is left on the blade for long periods of time, but with reasonable care, it should act almost like stainless.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:21 pm 

Thanks. I've decided to go with the Kanehide. Looking forward to trying it out, and maybe if I like the steel I can put the money saved toward their sujihiki.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 pm 

I ordered one to try today also. Steve G.s "Quick Look Video " review was a good over view of the knife. It is the same semi stainless that is used in the Kikuichi TDC line and has a decent rosewood handle. Seems like a good buy for $65 to try out a single blade Honesuki. Bill B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:28 am 
Forum Moderator

I think the handles are more than just decent. The level of F&F and quality surprised me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]