It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Next toy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:46 pm 

Hey all, looking for some insight on a couple of knife options. It's been a while since my last purchase and I'm looking to add to the collection for the winter months. Here is what I have and rotate through
Gyuto- 240 kono hh, 240 Mac Pro, 240 Fujiwara carbon, 210 yuki, 240 wa artifex
Sujihiki- 270 kono hh
Nakiri- Gassan
Petty- TF 150

I enjoy all of these knives and still use them all, some more than others. I'm a home cook and my next purchase is for enjoyment only. I home sharpen and have the Beston, bester, rika combo with a 1.5 Cbn micron strop on balsa and bare horse butt. With my gyutos I primarily push cut but obviously use the tip a lot, the reason I don't use the nakiri more often.

With all of that said here is what I'm considering

Kono hd kiritsuke 240. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdki24.html
Moritaka kiritsuke 240 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritaka13.html
Kono Fujiyama bunka 190. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowh2fubu19.html

I realize these knives don't really add any real functional benefits over what I have, I'm really just looking to try something new. Part of me is leaning towards the moritaka simply because I've never tried the steel nor the maker. That being said I have wanted to try a Fujiyama for a long time just not sure what the bunka would be like in terms of grind etc. Finally, I love my kono hh and am sure I could never go wrong with the hd. Just looking to see if anyone has used these knives and what their thoughts might be. Appreciate any insight.

Post subject: Re: Next toy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:00 pm 

I wonder, since you have a Fuji and a Kono HH the Kono HD and Fuji Bunka might be too close, personality wise, to what you are already using. The Moritaka might be a bigger departure.

You should also definitely consider a Takeda like this one: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tababu.html

I just test drove the Takeda Small Gyuto and they are very unique. I don't think I would want it for an everyday knife, but to spread your horizons a bit it might be a nice changeup.

Or maybe something from the Masakage lines. Again a bit of a departure from your current lineup.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:20 pm 

I have the Kono HD2 Kiri and it is a lot of fun to use. It's not as versatile as gyuto, but fun nonetheless. If I were to do it again though, I might've considered this Kiri instead:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke11.html

Moritaka isn't really my cup of tea (at least the KS wasn't) but that isn't to say it would not appeal to you.

Edit: Had written AS instead of KS above and fixed the error.

Last edited by ChipB on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:41 pm 

I just made a handle for a Kono Fujiyama Kiritsuke; it was my first experience with that knife shape. I own several Fujiyamas and a HH's, so I am very familiar with Kono's knives. I had never used a Kiri before, and did not think by looking at it that it would be something I would use or be interested in: I was wrong.

I do like AS, and I have not used a Moritaka, but I do own a Takeda Gyuto and like it. The tip of the Kono Kiri had a perfect geometry for me and allowed the big blade to be used like a much smaller knife.... the geometry (in the photos) of Takeda's Kiri & Bunka looks steeper and I am not sure it would have the feel that I liked with the Kono. I agree with Chip's recommendation above, you will have no regrets (other than the price diff) if you get the Kono Fuji Kiri....it is a splendid knife.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I think you should try the Moritaka Kiritsuke. I used the 210 version for video testing and it was AWESOME - I almost kept it ;-). The tip was thin and just flew through onions and such. It was overall a very high performance blade. I haven't seen the 240 in person, but it will probably be just a tad thicker than the 210.

My advice would be, if you want a really high performance version, get the 210. If you want more length, get the 240. Since you're considering a 190 Bunka, the 210 might be pretty cool as an intermediate size for you. It's a screamin' veggie killer :-).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:05 pm 

Thanks for the responses guys. I thought a lot about the Fujiyama Kiritsuke but don't want to go that high on a knife that won't be a gyuto. I'm saving the price level for the next gyuto purchase. Thanks for the info on the Morifaka Steve. I think ur right on about the 210. Should be a nimble veggie machine. Thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:07 pm 

Chris, for what it's worth, my first impression of the HD2 Kiri was that I should have gotten it in 270. Some of that is optics however as the sword tip makes the usable cutting surface look shorter than it actually is. That said, part of the fun of the pattern is that it can double as a pretty serviceable slicer making a larger format a little more desirable for me.
All that said, since you have an HH, I really don't believe that you will get something different out of the HD2 line that you don't already have in the HH aside from pattern (Kiri vs. gyuto). However, while you haven't used a Moritaka and it is always fun to try a new maker, I would not personally recommend one, based on my time with the KS, over an HD2. If it were my money, even if I did own an HH gyuto, I would still go with the HD2.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:27 pm 

Chris, I recently bought a Kono HD 240 Kiritsuke/gyuto and I like the blade shape for push cutting and chopping. It has been getting more use than my standard profile gyutos. The HD steel is very impressive , durable and easy to care for. As Chip B mentioned it is a decent slicer. The Moritaka 240 Kiritsuke is a little longer and taller than the Kono . The AS steel is harder ( more prone to chipping? ) and the blade is more reactive. I have a Moritaka 210 gyuto and it has a more rustic hand crafted feel compared to the Kono HD. Bill B

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:38 pm 

Thanks bill for the comments. Chip, it seems the moritakas are quite polarizing. Was there something specific about the gyuto you tried you did not like?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Chip, my friend, I'm going to push back a bit on your Moritaka comment. Mark sent me about 6 or 7 knives from that line for videos and I found the KS to be thicker, heavier, and thicker at the edge than the Santoku, 210/240 Gyuto's and the 210 Kiritsuke - by quite a bit. For me, it's almost an aberration in that line. Until you've tried some other Gyutos or Kiritsuke's from that line, I wouldn't base your opinion of Moritaka's from the KS 250. The 210 Kiritsuke, for example, is a completely different knife from the KS. It's a much lighter, thinner, nimble, and higher performing blade. The rustic character of the line still applies, but the performance is simply different in many of the other offering from that line.

My AS Santoku has an awesome combination of cutting performance, very good non-stick (pushing product away from the blade) properties, and low wedging through most ingredients.

"Off Soapbox" :-)

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next