It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gyuto with nuckle clearance.
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

I'm interested in the Dia-Sharp Extra or Extra Extra Coarse stone/leveler. You recommended this for leveling stones in one of your videos. I'm not sure which to get, however. I am new to sharpening, and basically limit myself to 1000 and 6000 grit stones. I expect that I will sooner go in the lower direction (to 380 or 500) before moving to a higher grit, in order to learn to "thin" my knives. Do you recommend the Extra or the Extra Extra for this type of work?

I'm also interested in the Tojiro boning knives. I tend to like slightly larger knives, so I was thinking of going with the 180mm. However, it seems 150mm is the standard size for this type of knife. I will mostly use the knife of chicken and medium-sized cuts of beef and lamb, but the real reason I'm interested in the added length is because it seems like it might be better for working with fish, which I hope to get into more. Any thoughts?

Finally, I am looking at purchasing a Misono UX10 down the road. I noticed the one in your videos, and was curious if this was a 210 or 240mm. I've been working with a Masamoto 210 stainless, but am interested in something with a slightly harder steel and a bit more knuckle room near the handle, as well as something that will hold an edge a bit longer and doesn't have such a delicate tip.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have,
Joe

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Gyuto with nuckle clearance.
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Joe,

This is our best selling stone flattener:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html

Yes the big one is good, especially if you are using it on beef but it will do the job on all types of poultry and for fish as well.

The Misonos are short, especially the 210 which is almost like a slicer. If you want to try the same steel with a nice tall blade I would recommend this one:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/wagyuto.html

My knife is a tall one as well and hold's it's edge really well:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riknad24.html

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Gyuto with nuckle clearance.
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick and helpful response! I plan to place my order for the stone flatter, a steel, and the Tojiro this weekend!

Best,
Joe

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]