It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: 210 Gyuto Goko vs Masakage Yuki
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 pm 

Hi:
I think I "need" :lol: just one more knife to fill the gap between a Moritaka 165 petty and Konosuke HD2 240.
I'm trying to decide between these two. I like the small craftsman aspect of both.
Could someone please compare the profile and grind of these knifes and offer your opinions?
I like the handle on the Goko but the Yuki looks a bit more refined with better fit and finish in the photos.

Thanks for your help.
Rick

Post subject: Re: 210 Gyuto Goko vs Masakage Yuki
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey Rick,

I have the Yuki 210 Gyuto and it's one helluva nice knife. These are both really nice blades, thin behind the edge, stainless cladding over carbon core. Both will feel more substantial in the hand vs. the Kono 240 and both will take great edges and cut like demons. I love my Yuki, but if you like the Goko handle more, then I don't think you can go wrong getting that knife. The finish on the Yuki handle is top notch. I do like the extra length to the neck (from choil into the handle ferrule) on the Yuki. I really feels nice for the pinch grip that I use. The Yuki handle diameter seems about average to me. I think the Goko handles are a big larger in diameter, but Adam could probably confirm this.

If you haven't looked already, I posted some photos of my Yuki in the "Photos" forum. I think it's still on the 1st page of entries.

You can't go wrong with either one....decisions, decisions...
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:56 pm 

Just to throw a wrench in things, do you want a 210 gyuto or a 210 petty?

A 210 is pretty close to a 240 in length, especially if you have a Konosuke that runs short (my 240 is more like a 230). You'd have two knives that were the pretty much the same shape, and pretty much the same size.

At least for me, I needed something that I could use to, for example, take apart a chuck roast or a boneless leg of lamb, remove the silver skin, and cut up into chunks for stew or ragu. The 150 petty knives have the right kind of point to get under the silver skin, but were just a bit too short to use for the slicing cuts to cut up the meat. The 210 Konosuke petty I just got still has that narrow point that even the "funayuki" doesn't have, with enough length to slice cut the meat in one pass, which the 150 couldn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

Handles:

The handle on the Goko looks better, but it's a plastic ferrule and the wood is a "burnt" chestnut....it's got a bit of nice texture to it. The grip is nice with the texture.

The handle on the Yuki is more refined I guess I'd say. It's smoother, with a wood ferrule. I like this handle a bit better.

Blades:

Both are stainless clad white steel. Both have that kind of unrefined, stainless cladding finish. The Yuki is slightly thinner behind the edge, but had a thicker overall profile and the published weights of each seems to verify that.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably flip a coin. Both great knives.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:35 pm 

Guess I'll just have to wait to see which one shows up first!
Thanks for the replies.
Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:16 pm 

I am deciding between these two in the 240 mm gyuto. Is the steel performance similar ? Masakage white#2 hrc63, Goko white#1 hrc 63 ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Bikeman - if you are a home user, I would pick either of these based on your preferences for everything else BUT the steel. Either steel will get just as sharp as you can possibly make it given your skill level, whatever that is. To put it another way - either knife will get just stupid sharp, if you have the sharpening skills to get it there.

Unless you're in a professional, heavy-use environment, I personally would not worry about differences between these steels. Adam and others may have different opinions and advice between these 2 steels.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Similar??? Very. I'd never make a decision between two knives based on one's use of White #1 and another White #2.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:30 pm 

Thanks. I am choosing the Goko. I didn't think there was that much difference in the steel. I like the larger ,thicker textured chestnut handle on the Goko. The Goko also has a slightly taller blade height if I read the specs correctly.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]