It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:56 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: sujihiki
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 am 

So I got my AS laser coming and my gf is buying me a yuki petty but I really need a slicer for work. Cutting roasts for customers and all sorts of meat. I will not be using it to cut through bone but a knife that could do that also would be rad but its mostly for roasts and fish. I am right handed and want a wa handle. Willing to spend up to around 250 and carbon or stainless is fine. Only ones I found under 300 was the Sakai takayuki suji...how is that one? What will another 50 bucks get me? All help is appreciated and valued thank you in advance
Bryson

I should add I'm very interested in konesuke because of what I've read on this site

Post subject: Re: sujihiki
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:44 pm 

What length? People on the line use anywhere from 240 to 300mm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:39 pm 

Well if your interested in Konosuke, this one doesn't break your budget to bad. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowh2st27su.html
Or this one. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowa271.html Both great knives.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:40 pm 

on a slicer i woudl get it as long as you can and still fit into your workspace after all slicers are not push cutters and the longer edge is a real help at times

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

I agree. I have a 270mm Artifex and a 300mm Kono White #2. The 270 works well, but the 300 is nicer. Looking for an even longer one now :) Some Suji's are VERY thin (Konosuke) and others are more robust (Moritaka, Masakage Mizu and Tojiro DP to name a few). The Artifex is thicker behind the edge, so it may hold up better with a bone hit, but I wouldn't try to slice thru bones with any suji?? What type of bones are you referring to, fish bones or cow/pig bones?? I convexed the edge of my Artifex and thinned it a little and then converted it to a wa handle, love it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:47 am 

i was thinking a 270mm in length maybe 300mm if i can afford it. i think i would cut through fish bones more than any other bones. i'll be cutting roasts and prime rib. breaking down fish maybe and i use a german knife i have for chicken until i can get a honesuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:40 am 
Forum Moderator

I would use the german knife (or buy an entry level deba) on the bones and use the suji to fillet, skin, portion, etc. Occasional hits or going through the smaller fish bones shouldn't be a problem for the suji, but beheading and the rougher stuff, use the German knife. Moritaka's are generally harder and may be more chippy due to that, same with Takeda. Kono's are very thin behind the edge.

The Moritaka, Kono or Masakage seem to be some of the few 270mm Wa handled Suji's for around $250. Or get the Artifex converted to a Wa handle.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]