It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:32 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: What next...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:52 am 
Site Admin

Hey, I've been a fan of your website for quite some time and have ordered a few bits and pieces over the last couple of years but I'm a little stumped on my next gyuto purchase. I have been happy with my konosuke HD 240 funayuki although at times I feel like it's a little short for me so I'm contemplating a bigger size of nice.

I would prefer a semi-stainless knife although I can maintain carbon to a degree (I just have a few problems with my Moritakas from time to time) and am curious about a workhorse type of gyuto I can use to assist in my prep sessions. I prefer a flatter and balanced profile that I can use primarily to push-cut but still have the ability to rock-chop herbs if desired (the funayuki appealled to me originally with the flatter profile and lower tip). I have an array of stones already of varying grits and am becoming pretty comfortable with them and enjoy using them. We cut on poly boards at work, if a knife can last me a day's worth of prep I'm happy to continue maintaining my edge on my stones each day or two so edge retention isn't a massive concern.

I looked at both the Ultimatum and the Konosuke (funayuki) gyutos although they seem in excess of 270mm, which I'm not sure would be a little too large for me or not. I'm still unsure on the subtle differences in profile and use of these two knives as well as I haven't been able to handle either of them. Would you be able to make any recommendations for me? I live in Australia and I'd prefer to spend less than $400 although I can be persuaded if I believe that a more expensive knife will keep me happier for longer.

Looking forward to your comments!

Regards;
Mat

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What next...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:09 am 
Forum Moderator

MAT <> Here in semi-stainless all you have is the KonoHD, Kikuichi TKC, & Ultimatum in HD.

The Kono Gyuto, not Funayuki, typically runs closer to 260. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd27wa.html I have a Funayuki that runs 276. The Ultimatum is 285! The TKC lists at 270 though I don't own one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

So that I make sure I understand:

You're looking for a semi-stainless long 240mm or short 270mm gyuto.....yes? :)

The Ultimatum 245mm gyuto sounds like a good fit.....is that one on your radar?

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:13 pm 

Hey thanks for the replies..

For the record, yes I am looking for what would seem to be a long 240 or short 270 gyuto, preferably in semi - stainless steel although im considering most options to be honest. I have a moritaka honesuki and nakiri in blue #2 and super respectively and am pretty happy with their performance although I am paranoid about rust. If I could eliminate that paranoia I could be swayed towards purchasing something in carbon as I do enjoy using the moritakas I have when I don't have to clean the little rust spots popping up from time to time. I will provide some more details later.. just got back from work and the missus is glaring at me haha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

MASIBU <> The Ultimatum is seemingly in your dimensional range, for sure. I guess the site is considering 19c27 a semi-stainless, but I gotta say I have Suisin INOX Honyaki, and this steel is stainless... nothing like a Kono HD steel. No rust spots are going to need to be cleaned, but I will acquiesce in that it will develop the slightest & slowest of patina.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:32 pm 

I've had my eye on the Ultimatum for a while now and it seems like a logical fit for me. All these comparisons are driving me nuts. I can deal with a slight and slow patina, no problem.. The Suisin was the first knife on my list actually although I cut it as it was a little over my budget.

I'm still leaning towards the monster ultimatum or konosuke funayuki. I could get used to the size so I guess comparisons between the two slightly different shapes would be helpful. Are there any noticable advantages of one over the other?

Edit:
Something else I have been looking at is the Konosuke 270mm in Ginsanko, although it's out of stock at the moment and maybe a little more expensive than my budget. How does the Ginsanko rate alongside the HD steel?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ginsanko is a lot like the 19C27 in the Suisin Inox Honyaki knives IMHO. It's a very nice stainless steel and was really my favorite until we all got AEB-L/13C26 and these Konosuke HD/TKC/etc. semi-stainless steels. I had several knives with Ginsanko and really like it. Sharpened fairly easily, held a good edge.

Between all the steels, though, I'd still buy based on other criteria.....maker, profile, geometry, handle, Ahhhh factor.....stuff like that, before I let the steel decide....at least amongst these steels. I'd only ever let one of these steels be the tie breaker and then I'd pick based on trying something new if I didn't have one of them.

Hope that makes sense.

Can't comment directly on the profile comparisons, sorry.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]