It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shredding Cabbage
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:52 am 

We eat a lot of cabbage in our house. What would be a good knife dedicated to chopping and shredding heads of cabbage for various meals and dishes.
Gyuto? Nakiri? ......? And is there a preferred steel for this task?

I'm right handed and have no preference toward handles. As far as steel, whatever would be best for task. I take impeccable care of my knives.

Post subject: Re: Shredding Cabbage
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:10 am 
Forum Moderator

Hey Jeff,

I think a good cutting 240 Gyuto can make quick work of a head of cabbage. I'm no Aaron Gibson, but I can knock out a finely shredded mound of cabbage pretty efficiently for a home cook with a 240. Unless you're prepping gigantic mutant-sized cabbages, I don't think a 270 would be necessary.

You're enough of a regular knife nut around here, that I would think you probably have a good 240 Gyuto. Are your current knives not doing the job to your liking for this task? Just curious.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, 240mm Gyuto with a thin spine and nice long flat spot works well on cabbage. Richmond Addict 2 in 52100 is what I usually use, haven't tried the AS 240mm Laser or 240mm Artifex yet on Cabbage. I like Nakiri's, but for this task, a 240mm gyuto is great! Tanaka Sekiso and Tojiro ITK Kiritsuke also work very well, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:52 am 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> This should go in the "you know you're a knife nut if..." you're buying one knife solely dedicated to cut cabbage. :lol:

I use a gyuto... any size.. any steel. It's cabbage. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:12 pm 

Well Mel, It comes down to you have to ask to learn know matter how stupid it may sound. I only delved into the world of J-knives and sharpening late last year so I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer yet. ;) I did get the answers that I expected but just wanted to ask. My problem is wedging and I figured I need a thinner knife or to thin one of the knives I have. I own a few lessor entry level j-knives, getting as much experience as I can sharpening and such before jumping into $200+ knives. And yes I will probably be getting a knife that gets used primarily for my cabbage! :mrgreen: Even your answer was helpful in letting me know which direction to head! :geek:

Thanks for your answers too Steve and Tim!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> Come on, Jeff... I wasn't saying it was a stupid question.

I was being quite serious. It's cabbage; personally, I use a gyuto... any size.. any steel.

It's just not a particularly difficult product that requires anything special, IMO. The Gyuto is analogous to the German "cooks knife" because it is the manual food processor... not much you can't do well with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:24 pm 

In all seriousness, I did find your answer quite helpful. Like you said, "it's just cabbage". Let's me know I just need a knife I'm comfortable with, get the right edge on it and go to town.
And hey, I always enjoy your post Mel and I don't get offended. I was just giving a little background to the question and the internet isn't a great place to infer inflection and tone. I depend on you and others here to keep me straight and teach me something along they way!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> So let's get down to the meat of this...

What's your current inventory, and what Gyutos are you eyeing?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:21 pm 

I do a lot of jumbo (BIG) cabbage. For fun, I just might get this to try out:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bigalkn.html

If nothing else, there won't be another one like it in these parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:54 pm 

After getting tired of pull through sharpeners and getting a bug for hand sharpening I bought some stones for my 10" Henkels and Victorinox chefs knives. Once getting comfortable that I wouldn't destroy a knife sharpening it I bought a 210mm Yamashin White #1 Gyuto to try carbon and a 240mm Tojiro DP shortly after. I have a 230mm Fernandez in the works but don't have it yet(may wind up being my cabbage knife).

I like the white#1 the best followed by the Tojiro. I mostly use the Victorinox for protiens and the Henkel rarely gets used at all. Maybe on a watermelon or cantaloupe know and then.
In the end what I'm really eyeing as an everyday go-to gyuto as my knife and sharpening skills improve is a 240-270mm Konosuke HD2 or a Richmond Laser AS. Hopeful to get one or the other by the end of the year. Even taken interest in a Nakiri lately.

I've only been sharpening for roughly 8 months. I still have a long way to go in several of the nuances of sharpening like thinning but I keep buying stones and practice on my beaters when I can and I am improving all the time.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next