It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: good japanese knife on a budget
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Mark:

My name is Eduardo. I am a "recreational" chef, with lots of pressure from my friends to turn pro. I am looking for a good japanese knife on a budget, and asking for your professional advice.

Info about the user: I am right handed, have good experience with chef knives from 210 mm to 240 mm, which is the size I am looking for. I have a reasonable experience on sharpening and currently I am working with the Edge Pro Sharpening System, with adapted DMT stones, which work very good for me. No much experience with whetstones and / or with very hard blades (HRC 59 and +). All sharpening experience on 50/50 edge bevel.

About the job: Most of the job with this knife I want to buy will be "light" work as dicing vegetables, poultry, beef and stuff like that. No work with frozen items. The knife will be used in a transition from home cooking to professional.

Aesthetics: I like very much the hand hammered blades and damascus blades. No problem with adictional care to avoid rust. Shape: Deba or Gyuto are OK to me.

Price range: I would like to stay under US$ 200.

That said, let´s see what I like in your store:

Tojiro Hand Hammered 240mm Wa-Gyuto
Tojiro DP Western Deba 240mm
Shun Premier 8" Chef Knife
Hiromoto Gyuto 240mm
Moritaka Supreme Gyuto 240mm
Konosuke 210mm White #2 Gyuto
Kasumi Chef's Knife 8"

So, what is your recomendation for me?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: good japanese knife on a budget
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:55 pm 

Tanaka 240! Great knife and it holds its edge very well

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto1.html

Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, the Tanaka Sekiso 240mm kicks butt! Also look at the Richmond AS laser, $10 over budget but also performs very very well. I have trouble choosing between using my Tanaka Sekiso 240 or Laser AS 240, I'm getting tired of pulling both out to compare head to head because I can't decide which to use!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

You're gonna have to get the western deba out of the list first. Not meant as an every day chef's knife. Very thick, meant for busting bones and the like.

Of the one's you listed, the Konosuke will win for me. It's a true laser though....very thin blade.

I do like the other's recommend for a Tanaka though. Fits all your criteria.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]