It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke vs. Sakai Takayuki
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:25 pm 

Hi,

I am interested in the below two Chef knives:

Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef Inox Wa-Gyuto ($190) 240mm
Konosuke HH Stainless Wa-Gyuto ($238) 240mm

The stated weight of the Konosuke is 124gms.
The stated weight for the Sakai Takayuki is 158gms.

How do the knives compare? Is the Konosuke greatly better? or equal? F&F? Is the weight difference noticeable? Do these knives ave a neutral profile for left-handed use?

A bit of background info:

1. Are you right handed? No
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 240mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Stainless Steel
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Wa
6. How much did you want to spend? around 200
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Will be buying stones from you and watching tutorials

I won't be abusing either knife. It will be used in my home kitchen and I have a Forschner 10" rosewood Chef knife for heavier tasks. I want lightness and sharpness. I want a Gyuto that will make me more efficient during prep.

This will be my first Japanese styled knife.

Many thanks,
Jose

Post subject: Re: Konosuke vs. Sakai Takayuki
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

<Jose> Those are both very good knives. BDL and/or Melampus should be able to describe the practical differences between your two choices. The differences will probably be small - they are both good lasers. These blades are so thin, that I would think any asymmetry beyond 50/50 on the actual edge bevel would have a minimal steering effect if you keep a reasonably loose grip on the knife. BDL has some fantastic posts on this topic than explain it in detail.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Sakai GC is taller, and slightly worse F&F

The Konosuke is a narrower blade, typically just short of the listed 240mm edge length, and will have (or should have) flawless F&F.

Is one better than the other...depends on what you're after. If you like narrow, get the Konosuke, if you like taller, get the Sakai.....if height doesn't matter and neither does F&F, flip a coin.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Adam - sorry I didn't include you in my list of respondents, my bad :-). No disrespect intended. Your posts are always informative and full of great advice.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

No worries. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:15 am 

i've been reading about konosuke's F&F going down coz of the higher demand and rushing production due to said demand.....

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:37 am 

The Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef wa-gyuto is a nice knife, relatively thin and light... but it's not a laser. The GC 240 weighs over an ounce more than the Konosuke HH 240. The spread is even larger at 270. IMO, the other knives in the GC's class of good quality, single steel, stainless, wa-gyuto, priced around $150, are the Gesshin Uraku and Richmond Addict2. There may be others, but if so they're not springing to mind.

As far as I know, the population of stainless lasers is limited to the Gesshin Ginga Inox, Ikkanshi Tadatsuna Inox, Konosuke HH, Richmond AEB-L Laser, Sakai Yusuke Swedish Stainless, and Suisun Inox Honyaki.

franz -- Don't believe everything you read; and, for that matter, don't repeat everything you read either. At least not without some evidence.

BDL

Last edited by boar_d_laze on Thu May 23, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 am 
Forum Moderator

I have recognized a difference in the F&F of my Konosuke purchases over the last 18 months. I am not saying my most recent Konosukes had poor F&F, but e.g., the choil on my 270HD2Funa was sharp enough to cut me after long hard use. The knife is still a Kono, still an awesome piece of steel, but it required some work...

Furthermore, I had bought two 240HD Funas about 12 months apart from one another. I am aware they are hand made & will not be identical profiles, but the difference was noticeable enough to me that I sold the latter version.

On the other hand, my most recent Kono, a white#2 Gyuto, is impeccable. It has quickly inserted itself in my top 5 favorite knives, and those spreads are eccentric hairs.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]