It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Workhorse Gyotu
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:06 pm 

1. Are you right handed?

Yes

2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)

Gyotu

3. What size knife are you looking for?

210mm

4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?

I like carbon, but either will do.

5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?

Japanese

6. How much did you want to spend?

Under $400

7. Do you know how to sharpen?

Basic sharpening, just jumping into learning more about it. I can put an edge on a knife, trying to refine my skills now.

I currently own a gyotu, petty, and paring knife. My gyotu is basically a laser, its a 240mm from Cut Brooklyn. And my petty (Takeda) is very thin as well. Just looking for something a little more beefy that I don't feel I need to be quite as careful with. Open to all recommendations.

Also since I'm sure some of you will be interested, this is what my Cut Brooklyn knife looks like, second from the left (pic is not of my knife, but very similar).

Post subject: Re: Workhorse Gyotu
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:41 am 
Forum Moderator

First of all, WELCOME to the forum!

Thanks for answering the basic questions about what you are looking for. I'm sure there are going to be a few recommendations, but my pick for a great workhorse that is within your budget is the Tsutomu Kajihara 210. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tska21gy.html

They have the beefiness you are looking for as well as being very good cutters. I have a tester (that probably needs to go back) and the edge it takes is great. Blue #2 is not known for being a chippy steel like Blue Super and White 1, and there is a hard convex right before the edge, giving it even more strength.

The damascus finish is carbon and will patina. Handle is D-shaped which is great for a right-hand user. This knife is a beautiful piece that is the polar opposite of a laser and I think it's just what you are looking for to help round out your set. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:12 am 
Forum Moderator

SAVAGE <> Of which I have not, Shaun has had the pleasure of using the Tsutomu, and as always, he makes great points in his recommendation. I think this knife offers what you are asking of a knife.

Another idea, is a less expensive Tanaka Sekiso http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto2.html, in blue steel, that offers a different profile. Lower tip, less height carrying through to the tip, and less belly. It is softer steel than the Tsutomu leaving it a bit more durable for the use you mention, and as such, it will not take quite the edge the Tsutomu will. This knife does not have the f&f of the Tsutomu, but I'm pretty sure you can have TAZ575 or KNIFEFANATIC thin her out, rehandle her with something nice, and crown the spine & choil for about the same as the Tsutomu. Just an idea...

Welcome!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:34 pm 

cut brooklyn are nice knives, a little too pricy for me. definitely more knives out there for that price can out perform and probably look better that those.

they are lookers but mostly user knives, as they were intended to be.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Tanaka Sekiso is a great knife!! The Blue #2 takes and holds a very nice edge and is thin enough that mine didn't need any thinning at all out of the box. The Tanaka KU/G3 ones may need some thinning since the grind doesn't go as far up the blade normally on those knives. Spine and choil need some TLC, and a new handle is always a nice thing! I am only a home cook, but I have had my Tanaka Sekiso since August and have only stropped it 5 times; each time, I kicked myself for stropping it because it sticks into the board constantly!!

But I want to hear more about the Tsutomu!!! Been eyeing those for a while!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:03 pm 

It seems you want to use two different go-to gyuto as a couple, using each to prep in fairly large volume as appropriate; as opposed to supplementing a light gyuto with a heavy-duty backup; and as opposed to choosing one or the other, as a knife "enthusiast might do, on the basis of whim.

Well, I can't entirely exclude myself from the second thing, as I've got five or six chef's knives I enjoy using and which get used inappropriately just because. And it's pretty clear that I'm having trouble describing the second thing in a few words. Fluent communication aside, tag-team chef's knives is the new modus operandi.

I'm using a Richmond Ultimatum 51200 as an alternative to a laser (270 Kono HD, if it matters) for prep when the going gets rough. I can't imagine a better knife for the purpose.

For decades my go to were Sabatier carbons. The highest praise I can give the Ultimatum is that it not only does all of the same things a Sab does, it does them better, and has knocked my Sabs completely out of practical rotation. There's not much need for any of my heavy-duty backups either, except when the going gets really tough; anything short of splitting chickens is jake.

Judging by the picture of the well-loved knives you chose to post, you might also find the Ultimatum aesthetic appealing. No bullshit, all blade, and what a blade.

If you're interested in stainless, you might take a serious look at the Ultimatum in Bohler 390.

BDL

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'll second both Melampus and Boar. The Tanaka Damascus is not a laser, but she's not fat either. I'd call her a middleweight to light weight, but still not laser. The Tsutomu Kajihara is heavier and thicker both spine and right behind the edge. The Ultimatum is another excellent choice for a workhorse. The profile and length are excellent, and it does most jobs well. Problem is that it is a little longer than you wanted, but many of us here argue that a knife of 240 or evern 270 millimeters is better than a 210... given that space is not a constraint.

Do you have a specific reason that you want only a 210mm blade? Would you consider something longer?

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]