It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: upgrading a sujihiki
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:48 pm 

I am thinking to upgrade my sujihiki. Currently I use a Hattori KF 270mm , and I would like to get something carbon or semi stain less , wa-handle and maybe little bigger than my Hattori .
I am down to these options now
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tskasu30.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowh2su30.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mo30yawocha.html
What are the moritaka and konosuke's measurements and weight?
Moritaka sounds really good for the price and steel but I am hesitant beacuse of all the grinding issues people are talking about. I am familiar with Kono since I have a HH gyuto and I love it , I haven't had any Moritaka's before and I don't know anything about Tsutomu Kajihara.
What are your thought on these knives?
I am aware they all have different steels (blue #2 damascus clad , white #2 , AS kuro-uchi clad)
I know Kono would be worthed but, I am trying to spend under $300 if possible .Thank You
Chefcomesback

Post subject: Re: upgrading a sujihiki
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Commenting on Moritaka's is hard for me. They make really great knives....I've owned 3 or 4 in my time and none had any issues. However, I do know of several people who's opinions I trust that have had issues with them. Now, most times the issues are small (probably wouldn't be noticed by the normal person even)....with a few of the issues being major enough to warrant replacement.

I can't recommend that you not buy one....they make way too many great knives and are a great value. But if you can't live with buying a knife that might have an issue and need replacement, it might not be the best choice for you. The issues they have had have been sensationalized by some too much IMHO. I don't know what the ratio of great knives to bad knives is, but it's likely very small.

One thing to keep in mind is that often times a 300mm wa-suji is going to be slightly short of the listed length. Probably won't be a big jump over your 270mm western.

Of the three you listed, for a suji, I'd pick the Kono if price allowed. And that's not because of any issues with the Moritaka....I just think it's a better made knife.

Never seen the Kajihara suji's though.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have the white #2 300mm suji; it's not a lot longer blade wise than my Artifex 270mm, but it is taller. Wickedly thin, great cutter. Nice knife!

I did a saya for a Moritaka yana/suji. It is thicker and stiff. It wasn't a 50/50 grind; the left side had more of a grind than the right, but the grinds were the same height.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 am 

Thanks for the feedback guys , i blew my montly toys budget :lol: , I will be saving funds for Konosuke for next month

https://www.facebook.com/merttansuknives

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:19 pm 

A little extra time to think is a luxury not a drawback.

I have a Kono 300HD and it's one of the best knives I own. I understand that Kono production is REALLY backed up, so if there's a Kono you want that's in stock, I'd call and see what you could do about reserving it.

Whether or not the Moritakas are as problematic as the KKF guys seem to think is something I can't address. However, I know Mark well enough that I wouldn't hesitate to order anything from him -- with either or both of two provisos.

1. You know knives well enough to recognize a grind problem (not like you can't see them if know what to look for), CKtG's return policy is such that replacing the knife with a good one isn't an issue; and/or

2. Mark or someone else who knows what to look for, puts his or her US GI Mk IV eyeballs on it before it's shipped and warranties that the knife is correct.

If 2 sounds like a lot to ask for, it isn't. It's something consumers should do as a matter of course.

I wouldn't buy any san-mai knife, so not a problem for me. But I'm not you.

BDL

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

I never let customers reserve a knife. I know some of my broke competitors will do this so they can pay their light bills but for us it's just too complicated and I don't like holding other people's money when I don't have product ready to ship. The only time I do this is for custom orders with Konosuke which tend to take months for them to make.

Best bet is to put your email in the "Email me when back in stock" that is on the out of stock item pages and I'll email when I get stuff.

We do look at knives and take each one out of the box when we wrap them up for shipping. If you get a knife you don't like we'll replace it so I don't think it's a big issue. We ship about a hundred knives so if we miss a problem just email me and I'll take care of you.

On Moritaka. They make really good knives at an affordable price and the knives are hand made by a small blacksmith shop. We've sold several thousand of them and I've looked at most of them and they're good knives. My only problem currently is getting enough of them to sell. They're having a difficult time filling our orders because they can't make enough. Is every single one of them perfect? Of course not. But if you read the reviews on our site from customers that actually own their knives you will see that people for the most part are thrilled with their purchases. We've only had a few people with problems and those are mostly chips in the edges. Shaun has fixed a few of them for us over the past couple years.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:45 pm 

I have a misono carbon suji which I really like. It is light, flexible, sharpens really well and the fit and finish are second to none. That said, I was also interested in Moritakas at one point and in doing the research on them, read about some of the concerns some people had. Not at all suggesting that the concerns raised were not valid (I just don't know), I did end up buying a KS 250. Simply put, it is just an awsome knife. Sharp as hell out of the box. When I sweek through my knife rack to give a tune up to a batch of blades, I always have to skip over the Moritaka b/c it just doesn't seem to lose its edge... Liked it so much that I bought their petty which is also tremendously sharp. What pisses me off about the petty, is that after a long intricate sharpening session with a few other pettys, I will do a cut and see how sharp they are and it goes something like this: Other knife that I've worked on for 45 minutes, sharp. Moritaka petty which gets sharpened almost never, much sharper, much smoother cutting. Again, I have no idea about their sujihiki, but of the two Moritakas I own, other than the KU finish wearing off fairly quickly (which is no big deal b/c I have had zero rust problems) they get a great edge and seem to hold it forever.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:30 pm 

I now own three Moritaka supreme series knives and absolutely love all of them! I have a 150mm petty, a 250mm KS, and a 300mm Yanagiba (most recent purchase). I have to say that they are all awesome and the 300mm (being the hardest one to have a nice grind) was the sharpest out of box knife I have ever received. No grind issues for me . . .

In fact every other knife I have ever received goes straight to the stones upon receipt, but not that Yanagiba! I am not too sure I can improve on that edge and won't even try until it needs it.

I can 100% confidently recommend Moritaka knives and they look great too!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:20 am 

I would not ask him to reserve something unless it is paid for . If I was in US , exchanging anything wouldn't be a big deal but now I am in Australia , receiving a package from US and sending it back will be $100+ minimum

https://www.facebook.com/merttansuknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]