It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: petty/honesuki
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:24 pm 

Looking to get a smaller knife for certain tasks but have a few questions. It will be used for more detailed prep work where a 240 gyuto is a bit too large and possibly cleaning up proteins. Id like a quality stainless or semi stainless for this knife due to ease of maintenance(will consider carbon clad for certain steels). Handle preferable wa but I love the looks of the kono ginsan line and the hybrid handle. Too steep for my budget at the moment just having my first son born saturday night.
What exactly is thw difference between a honesukI and a tall petty?
Looking in the range of 150mm-200mm

Thanks
Jared

Post subject: Re: petty/honesuki
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:28 pm 

a honesuki is pretty versatile. you can treat it like a tall petty or small chef knife and a boning knife for chickens but with a short tip. that's how it's really used by yakitori places in japan.

i'd say go for the honesuki.

go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Congrats on the little one!!

A Honesuki is going to have the main blade grind on one side of the knife and a nearly flat side on the other and will be sharpened pretty much 95/5 with the small little bevel on the flat side. A petty is normally 50/50 ground, or closer to it. I think either one will work for what you want to do, but the petty may allow more detailed work because it's more of a 50/50 grind and usually a touch thinner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, congrats on the new future knife knut!! :)

As a general rule (not a 100%, always true rule) a honesuki is typically going to be very asymmetrically ground.....a lot of petty's are asymetrically ground as well, but not typically so much so as a honesuki.

Additionally, a petty is often times ground a little thinner at the edge than a honesuki. A little, not much.

A petty is a little more versatile than a honesuki IMHO, but I do use a honesuki for a lot of "mundane" tasks like I would normally use a petty.

If you're interested in a honesuki, I would try one....it's a fun knife to have.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:13 pm 

Thanks for the congrats fellas, what an experience this is!
I ordered what i believe to be a happy medium between the two, a 150mm sabaki bocho.
the price was right and its blue #1 which ive been wanting to try..
hopefully it meets what im looking for, if not, just another excuse to buy another knife:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

That's the spirit!! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]