It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masamoto Carbon vs Masahiro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hello, I am interested in a carbon steel 210mm Gyuto and liked the Masahiro and Masamoto. Can you give me your opinion on one or the other, or another option.

Thank you, Love you website,

Jacques

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Masamoto Carbon vs Masahiro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

This is a difficult question because we have a group of knives that are all very similar.

Misono Swedish
Masamoto HC and CT
Masahiro Carbon
Masazumi

Each one has good things about it but the differences are slight. I like the engraving on the Misono. I like the steel on the Masamoto. The Masazumi is the best value. Flip a coin and pick one. I don't think you would be unhappy with any of these.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I think Mark's right. They're all so very similar that I'd pick based on price, or profile, or handle, or.....something and all are personal preferences. Me, I like the Misono the best...seems to always have the best F&F but just barely and that could be just luck too.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:38 pm 

The Masamoto HC has by far the best profile. It feels like a Sabatier on the board -- which isn't surprising because Masamoto's gyuto profile is a Sabatier clone. It's also made from the best alloy. Handle F&F can be somewhat problematic though. If you decide you want one, make sure that you ask Mark to make sure your knife's handle has no cracks, and fits completely flush all the way around the (open) tang.

The Misono Sweden is a great knife too. All Misono handles are at least very good, and the handles on the Sweden series are excellent. The Misono's edge taking and holding is almost as good as the HC's, the profile is pretty good, and of course there's the dragon. Unfortunately, the unnamed "Swedish" alloy is so reactive that the Sweden takes a little extra management.

I'd rate the Misono about a half step beneath the Masamoto, but I'm nuts about the Masamoto profile and sufficiently sensitive to Japanese cultural values to recognize that the Masamoto is inherently more desirable because it is a Masamoto; and a Masamoto is a Masamoto is a Masamoto.

Hope this helps,
BDL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:46 pm 

i have the masamoto and a misono sweden, and i agree with the master BDL's statement. but i looooooove the misono sweden's steel, no matter how reactive it is. mine's brand new vs. the masamoto that i bought used. so i really can't talk about how reactive both steels are when compared.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]