It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:32 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tanaka kurouchi gyuto
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:47 pm 

Hi all!
Great stuff on this forum. I love the website and the vibe of this knife community. I'm looking at the Tanaka Kurouchi Gyuto (210mm). The video was quite helpful. However, i couldn't find reviews anywhere. As far as i can tell, it's a great deal on a knife with well regarded steel. It's blue #2 (but doesn't show up under "blue #2" steel type knives). It's a Wa-Gyuto (but doesn't show up under "Wa-Gyutos" type knives). Kurouchi but not under kurouchi? Again, attractive price, nice steel. Did i get the specs right? Anybody's opinion and/or experience with it would be great!
Many thanks in advance.
-Andre

Post subject: Re: Tanaka kurouchi gyuto
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

You're about to get some good input. Since I did the video, I'm just going to sit back and let everyone else chime in. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum by the way! Make yourself at home, just remember to use a coaster and always flush. :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:36 pm 

Shuan, get back in your cage!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm afraid I can't let it do that, Jeff..... :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:35 am 
Forum Moderator

I have one. It cuts pretty well, but the KU finish on the blade causes some drag and the finish on the blade road causes some extra drag, too. I cleaned up the blade road and it cuts much better. It takes and holds a nice edge, too. Not a bad knife, but the handle is somewhat pedestrian (my plastic ferrule collar is loose on mine). For $155, you can get the Sekiso, which is a bit nicer all around.

Choil shot, there is a little burr on the left side of the choil, but it hasn't bothered me enough to remove it yet:

This is the choil shot on my Tanaka Sekiso Damascus blue #2 240mm gyuto:

The grind on the Sekiso seems to go a bit farther up the blade (blade is a 240mm and also wider, so that may be some of the difference, too) and the smoother sides reduce friction going thru foods. The handle on the Sekiso Damascus series is also a lot nicer, too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:41 pm 

...knew I was asking the right people. thanks!
this is good. I was suspecting the plastic ferrule. Accepting that was justified only by it being a great opportunity to do my first re-handle. But, that probably would have turned into another crafts pipe dream. Part of me [and my wife (this'll probably be her go-to)] was romanced by Kurouchi. But, not buying the KU Gyuto will help me justify buying CCK...I like where this is going.
I'll definitely consider the Sekiso. In that price range, how does the Moritaka 210 compare? Also, is there a 210 carbon addict hidden somewhere?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:11 am 
Forum Moderator

The 240mm carbon addict is nice, but not Tanaka Sekiso nice (Tanaka grind is much thinner behind the edge). The plastic ferrule isn't a big deal. When it comes loose, slide it forward as far as it goes, mix up some Devcon 2 ton epoxy and put some on the wood part and push the ferrule back over it, clean up the excess with Denatured Alcohol and you are done. Or just use Super Glue or something water proof under the ferrule. 5 minute fix, tops.

The Tanaka KU cuts well, but I just noticed the extra drag (I am pretty picky!). Once I smoothed out the blade road (sandpaper will work as well), it got much better cutting with less drag.

If you want a nicer KU 210mm gyuto, look at the Yamashin. I got the 165mm Funayaki and it is crazy thin. Same handle as the Tanaka I think, but MUCH thinner grinds behind the edge and didn't feel extra friction from the KU finish. It may be thinner than the Tanaka behind the edge. I was impressed with how well it cut.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh1gy21.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 pm 

In response to the OP, I have found that the "Knife Types" feature on the website isn't always complete. I think maybe each knife is added individually to those lists, and maybe it was done a while ago. But it doesn't seem to give a definitive list.

The good news is that the number of makers and products just seems to be expanding!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:27 am 

I don't hate the fact that the knife "types" categories are not complete. It forces me to look at the brands over and over again (I can't stop). And, every time I look, i find something new, interesting and enticing. I have to say that it's a pleasant adventure.
Although I became interested in the Tanaka Sekiso, I'm leaning again toward a KU finish. What are feelings about Yamashin vs Moritaka (super)? Both seem like good performers for their cost. Aesthetically, the Moritaka is very elegant yet raw. The Yamashin is so simple ...there's beauty to that too. However, the price difference almost makes them seem like they're in different leagues. Are they?
thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

In my experiences a Moritaka will easily outperform a Yamashin, but I feel the Yamashin might stand up to harder ingredients a touch better.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next