It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond knife questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

To whom this may concern,

I am looking at a couple of different knives and I have some questions.

1. Richmond Artifex 240mm Gyuto knife.

I see this knife is convex ground with a 15 degree V edge. I was wondering what would be the advantage of having this knife sharpened with the Finish sharpening service.

What exactly is the Finish sharpening service?

I am left handed and my wife is right handed so I'm looking for a knife that is ambidextrous in the blade and the handle and I need to know if this knife is ambidextrous.

2. Richmond Addict 2 Rosewood Handle 240mm.

Is this knife convex ground as well?

What is the difference in the factory edge and the finish edge offered by you guys.

I see that this knife is out of stock and I was wondering if you have any idea when it might be back in stock as it looks like the knife I really want to purchase.

Payments: Do you all take Pay Pal or just credit card payments?

Shipping: Can you tell me what the shipping cost would be for either of these two knives? My zip code is 99504, Anchorage AK.

Is there a contact phone number should I have the need to talk to someone live.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tony

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Richmond knife questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the interest in my knives.

The knife has a factory edge on it which is fine for most people. They tend to put an even grind on the knife so it will work for lefties and righties. Often it's sharpened a little more on the right since they use a high speed belt grinder and the last pass will sharpen more on the last side.

Most knives have a covex grind on the entire blade and this one is included. Some have a convex edge which this one does not. This one has a V edge.

When we finish sharpen the knife we take the edge which is about 800 grit and thin the edge a little and then take it up to about 8,000 Grit. It improves the cutting performance if we do a good job. It should easily shave when we're done.

We do take Paypal and shipping to you in Alaska is usually free if the order is over $60 and less than 2 pounds (1 knife is under). If it goes over 2 pounds we usually charge a little more for shipping but we will email you after the order to let you know. Typically its 5-10 bucks for a 3-5 pound order. We ship USPS.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have the Addict 2 in 52100 and CPM 154 and the 240mm Artifex. The Artifex 240mm is a narrow, pointy blade with a western style handle and the Addict 2 is a taller blade, less pointy profile with a Wa handle. In terms of blade profiles, it's a toss up. The thin point of the Artifex is nice if I want a nice point, but the flatter edge and bigger handle of the Addict 2 make it one of my go to knives for chopping veggies. Both are ground fairly thin overall, but some feel that the blades are a little thick behind the edge. They still cut well, but some people want it thinned out a bit (many of us knife knuts are obsessed with stupidly thin, sharp edges and go to extremes with them, ie .5 micron pastes to polish the edge, around 30,000 grit!!). The factory edges are decent and cut well, but the steel is capable of a much higher polish and lower angle for better cutting performance, which is what the finish sharpening should be able to give you. If you have larger hands, the Addict 2 would be better for larger hands, but still works well with small hands and is impressively light weight. Some with larger hands find the Artifex handles on the small side, so I would have to give the nod to the Addict 2. Both knives will work well for lefties and righties.

So if you have larger hands, go with the Addict 2 and if you have more average size hands, go with whichever profile you like better!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Finish Sharpening is simply taking the knife to it's ultimate edge capabilities....or at least as close as whatever sharpener you pick.

The knife will be sharp from the factory, but it is more than capable of taking a much better edge. Sharp versus scary sharp so to say.

If you aren't a sharpening guru and want to see what your knife is capable of, have it sharpened by someone who knows what they're doing. However, I do like to see it done after you've used it for a while. Then you know what the advantage of a truly sharp knife is.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]