It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:48 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Sujihiki
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:50 pm 

Right handed
Suji (Is the a Yanagi I should think about?)
300mm (any thoughts on how short I could get away with?)
Carbon
Wa-handled
~$200
Yes

Looking for my first slicer. Home cook. I get big cuts from CostCo and the like and I need something to break them down for cooking then slice for serving. I like the idea that it can do some general purpose work so I don't have to break out a second knife if all I need to do is julienne an onion. I like a knife with character, carbon, hand hammered, kurouchi, damascus, etc. I won't do enough of this type of prep to put much more than ~$200 toward the knife, but I feel like I should be able to find a good knife in that range...I hope.

I have eyeballed the Kaneshige and Tanaka Kaumi Yanagis, but I am concerned about a single bevel knife. I have not used single bevel before (besides a honesuki) and I worry about getting a knife that is limited in what it can do (or what I can do with it :)). http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kawh3ya30.html, http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakasashimi3.html

I am leaning toward the Kajihara Suji but had some questions. How do people feel about their Kajiharas, fit and finish, heat treat, edge retention, etc? Shaun did a vid of the gyuto, is the suji have an asymmetric grind as well, if so how pronounced is it?

Any other thoughts?

As a side note, is there a reason there are fewer lower cost Sujis than Yanagis?

Post subject: Re: Sujihiki
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:40 pm 

I like 270 length. If you are using it to remove silverskin and such with it, a length beyond that I would think to be awkward. A size smaller for this purpose would be better, but then your sacraficing slicing length, so I like the 270 as a compromise. It will perform both fairly well. I also like the looks of the kajihara. I thought of getting one from this line earlier but didn't for lack of feedback. With it on sale, I think I'd get one. I can't comment on if you should get yanagiba instead. Only single bevel I've used is a deba. I don't have any experience of one used as such. My gut would say if you are doing fish and mainly slicing, single bevel would maybe be the way to go. For sliverskin, trimming, portioning , and some carving, I think suji would be better. ??? Maybe just personal preference though. Maybe Mel will chime in and set me straight. Lol. :) do us a favor, buy the kajihara and let us know what you think. I'd appreciate your feedback on it . :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:48 pm 

I have a 300mm Kono white#2 and love every mm of it. Get one as long as you have room for. I started to get a 270 but after a lot of reading most seemed to prefer longer when it came to a suji so I made the leap to 300. So glad I did. Very nice to slice a large piece of meat with one pull and not sawing. Makes for thin clean slices.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:18 am 

When it comes to meat, like Jeff said length is king. One pull of the blade not only makes you feel and look badass but the cut of meat will also look better (no saw marks).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Don't get a yanagi for what you're looking to do. If you want explanation, please ask.

I have used 270mm and 300mm suji's quite a bit. 300 I find a bit too long, and I use the 270mm more. However, 285mm is a good compromise, but you'll only find that in a custom knife I reckon.

I'd get this puppy and never look back:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila27suaema.html

Great handle, slightly over your budget, nice steel, and a good overall suji.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Adam, that's a really nice Suji recommendation. Those maple handles are like getting a custom handle for minimal extra $$.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:29 pm 

Thanks for the insight, all.

Adam:
I'd love your thoughts on Yanagi vs Suji.

Also, do you prefer the Richmond Laser over the Kajihara because of the 1.4oz weight differential? The only reason I tend to be lukewarm to the Laser AEB-L or even the Kono HD is they look a bit bland to me. I would be swooning over a Kono Wt#2 (not in stock) or a Richmond AS Laser Suji (does not exist) because of that extra bit of character.

Red, Adam, Lunatic, and Jeff:
Ya'll aren't exactly helping me narrow down length here :D Could we get a little consensus? And NO, the 285mm recommendation is NOT helpful :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

They might look a bit bland, but wait until you use them ;-). Personally, I think they exude a no-nonsense, focused character of purpose and are actually quite beautiful in their own way.

I will say 300mm is a LOT of knife and requires plenty of workspace to make sure you're not knocking the tip into stuff, etc. Also consider your storage situation and how much length you can accommodate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yanagi is purpose built to slice raw fish. It excels at that task, no other knife does it as well.

A yanagi slices other things well in some instances and absolutely piss poorly in other instances.

A sujihiki slices almost everything equally well.

Take for instance a big ass watermelon.....a yanagi is thick, and single beveled and would cut a watermelon like crap. A sujihiki would cut it very well. The single bevel grind on a yanagi would steer that sucker on a curve that would drive you nuts.

For what you want, a sujihiki works very well....and works very well at other things. A yanagi might work (I don't know exactly what you're cutting, how, etc.), but it would suck at cutting that onion you mentioned......and I mean suck.

I understand the bland look....very well. :) I don't know that I would recommend one over the other. Kajihara has great steel, a good handle, and decent grinds (only ever seen the gyuto though). The Laser is a bit thinner, and I really like the steel.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:48 pm 

If your wanting to break down or slice large cuts of meat a suji between 270-300mm will serve you well and the longer the better. But if you want to julienne an onion at the same time your going to grab a different knife. Long sujis suck with most veges. If your not wanting to reach for a second knife in this situation I would suggest going with a 270mm gyuto.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next