It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: looking into an upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:41 pm 

Hey, new to this forum and looking for advice from some pros and some who may have used the knives in question. I currently have a Miyabi Kaizen 240mm gyuto (VG-10) but am looking to upgrade to something that can take a sharper edge and hold it longer. Ive been looking at the Moritaka 240mm gyuto in aogami super as well as the Takeda. What do you guys think? preference to one or the other, or a different recommendation completely?

Btw. i sharpen my own blade using 220, 1000, 4000, and 8000 grit stones, need to replace the 1000 and 4000 in the near future too. recommendations on them? Ive only been doing it for about a year but im not too bad at it. All the stones are Norton except the 1000 being a King.

thanks for your input,
Jared

Post subject: Re: looking into an upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:38 pm 

Hi Jared, I have used the Moritaka 240 extensively and I also own a Takeda 240 that I use as my go-to at work. Both are great knives, same steel but with different shape and finish. I prefer the Takeda because of it's nimble feel and depth. I'm guessing you have a Norton double sided 4k/8k. I have the same stone and found the 8k to be ok but the 4k to be unresponsive and slow. I upgraded to an Imanashi 4k and a Naniwa snow white 8k. Both have a great buttery feel and complement each other well. Naniwa's 2k green brick is a nice accompaniment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:28 am 

Thanks for your response. I originally thought the Moritaka would be my choice but the more I thought about it, I feel ill appreciate the taller blade. I haven't owned carbon steel yet but think Aogami super will fit what I am looking for. Do you have any other suggestions similar in style to the Takeda? I also just ordered a Shapton 6 Piece set that included a 1000 and 4000 grit stone. (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sh6pcstset.html) The naniwa snow white 8k will most likely be my next investment after a knife.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 am 

On another note, I read that this steel is rather flexible, which i dont really care for. Is there a comparable steel in edge retention and ability to take a screaming sharp edge being more stiff?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:38 am 

Jared08 wrote:On another note, I read that this steel is rather flexible, which i dont really care for. Is there a comparable steel in edge retention and ability to take a screaming sharp edge being more stiff?

Flexible? Where did you get that misinformation? Flexibility in a knife is a function of the grind, not the steel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:48 am 

By: Hans
Shelburne,VT
[i]One of my largest gyutos,this is also one of my lightest. I was impressed by the factory edge,which was set at a very steep bevel,and the significantly flexibility in the blade. For such a hard blade,the flexibility in this knife is impressive. It’s very attractive,although the black residue from forging does come off when you clean it a bit. The fit and finish is not great,which is why I only rated it four stars. There’s a significant amount of glue where the tang meets the handle,and some irregularities in the shape of the blade. However,it is fast,cool looking,and uses a great steel. I would recommend the smaller size to most people,however.

this was the first review on the takeda 270mm gyuto. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagyas27.html
Ive also read elsewhere there is a certain flexibility to it but cant recall where exactly. Not as big of a factor as im assuming it to be?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 am 

Jared08 wrote:By: Hans
Shelburne,VT
[i]One of my largest gyutos,this is also one of my lightest. I was impressed by the factory edge,which was set at a very steep bevel,and the significantly flexibility in the blade. For such a hard blade,the flexibility in this knife is impressive. It’s very attractive,although the black residue from forging does come off when you clean it a bit. The fit and finish is not great,which is why I only rated it four stars. There’s a significant amount of glue where the tang meets the handle,and some irregularities in the shape of the blade. However,it is fast,cool looking,and uses a great steel. I would recommend the smaller size to most people,however.

this was the first review on the takeda 270mm gyuto. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagyas27.html
Ive also read elsewhere there is a certain flexibility to it but cant recall where exactly. Not as big of a factor as im assuming it to be?

Takeda makes a very thin knife, and there is a certain amount of flex to them. Again, this has nothing at all to do with the steel, but rather with the grind - a thin knife made from any steel will exhibit some flexing.

Hope this clears things up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 am 

Alright, Thanks for straitening that out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 am 

Jared08 wrote:Alright, Thanks for straitening that out.

You're welcome.

As to your question about a steel that might have better properties than VG10, you might look into a knife with a PM steel core, perhaps SG2, like the Miyabi Birchwood series, since you like the Miyabi Kaizen. In my experience, SG2 is superior to the Aogami Super in Takedas and Moritakas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:13 am 

I have considered PM steel, but it would be a line other than Miyabi if i go through with it. ive looked into SG2, CPM-154, and ZDP-189(EXPENSIVE!)

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next