It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: 240mm Gyuto Recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I am looking for Gyuto recommendation.

I likely Sabatier better than the Henckles…because the blade is thinner…now I want Japanese carbon steel.

I tried an 8” Shun gyuto…I did NOT like the feel of the steel...it felt stiff, brittle...awkward.

Gyoto size?…210 or 240? Seems like most folks like the 240?

What CARBON steel do you prefer?…something that feels good, I don’t mind wiping knives.

What handle feels the best to you? (not to small) Of course i like well balanced and comfortable…it does not have to be the lightest.

What would be your choices, in order?

THANK YOU MARK.

Regards,

Steve

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: 240mm Gyuto Recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

You missed the important question which is price range. We have over 100 choices so it always helps to know what you would like to pay. I'll just guess that you want to spend between 150-350 dollars. If that is wrong please correct me.

Carbon, Tall, Gyuto, 240.

The Takeda 240 is an iconic, great carbon steel knife. I use mine everyday. It's tall and really fun to use and sharpen. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagyas24.html

The Shimo is another good knife that is about 10% less, is fully carbon steel, tall and very nice with unique cladding: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mashgy24.html

If I'm off base with pricing the Goko is a good lower priced knife. It's a little rough around the edges and the handle is large but very average. That said in this price range it's a nice, tall carbon gyuto with excellent cutting performance and it's half the price of the above 2 knives. I like it a lot: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto240mm.html

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:59 pm 

You mentioned that feel is important to you. Feel can mean different things - how much feedback and tactile sensation a knife provides on the board, the balance of the knife, the feel of the knife handle, etc. I will assume you are looking for a steel that provides feedback and good tactile sensation. Based on that, I would recommend that you get a mono-steel knife and not a clad knife. You also mentioned that you want a carbon knife - so I will eliminate stainless knives but include semi-stainless knives.

If you are a fan of the Sabatier profile but with better steel and good feel, I'd recommend the Masamoto KS (wa handle, Hitachi white steel - not specified if it is #1 or #2). It's an iconic knife but on the more expensive side.

I'd also highly recommend the Kikuichi TKC (western handle, semi-stainless) and the Konosuke White #2 laser (wa handle, white #2 steel) or Konosuke HD2 (wa handle, semi-stainless steel). Between the two, the Konosuke is going to be thinner and lighter - more of a true laser. The Kikuichi is still very thin but is a little more robust than the Konosuke lasers.

I'd also take a look at the Misono Swedish Steel 240. It's a western handle, with Swedish carbon steel. It may be a good transition to Japanese knives from German or French knives. Very good fit and finish on these knives.

I'd differentiate between these knives based upon the handle type that you prefer and the profile of the knives on the board. All of these knives are really well made with very good fit and finish. They are all mono-steel and provide good feedback and tactile sensation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:01 am 

The Masamoto KS HonKasumi is a White #2 steel.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:27 am 

Very good knife if your on a tighter budget. Tanaka Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takugy24.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:39 am 

Mark stocks the Hiromoto brand which is made from Aogami Super (AS) steel core, clad with stainless for easier care. This is a popular, reasonably priced knife with a western handle. My understanding is the supply of these knives will dry up in the near future, as the company owner is retiring. The Kohetsu Western AS is a similar design, is slightly more expensive, but has nicer fit and finish:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hiromotoknives.html

I have a Hiromoto AS gyuto, and find the clad design an advantage over solid carbon steel, when other users may not be as careful to keep it dry after use. The steel holds a super edge and is easy to sharpen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:08 pm 

I just picked up a Kohestu AS Western as a workhorse for catering work and love it. Highly recommended.

Great looking knife and handles well. Very solid feeling. It was purchased since the Hiromoto AS is not being restocked and I didn't want to spend any more for a workhorse. Not blingy, but the understated looks would fit in either and home or professional kitchen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]