It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: price point knife
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:54 pm 

Wanting to get a gyuto for a present, need to get 2 or 3 so looking at the cheaper knives.

Suisin inox (dont know much about steel)
Hiromoto ginsan (like ginsan but never used hirmoto or factory made ginsan)
artifex (lots of praise, haven't tried yet)
Tojiro dp (solid and my "safety net knife" if I cant decide)

Looking for good edge life (dont have to be the best, but good)
Leaning towards artifex or dp unless theres a convincing post on the suisin or hiromoto.
thanks guys

Post subject: Re: price point knife
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

I prefer the AEB-L in the Artifex over the VG-10 in the DP. The DP that I have played with are heavier, beefier feeling knives than the Artifex. Suisin Inox gets very good reviews, as does the Hiromoto Ginsan. The Fujiwara Stainless seem to be decent, too. I got a few and did custom handles on them for friends as gifts and they loved them.

Handle F&F is very good on the Artifex and Fujiwara (I was surprised at how nice the Fujiwara's were for the price!). The Tojiro's are maybe a touch lower (more blocky feeling, some sharp edges). The Hiromoto's I have played are just below the Fujiwara and Artifex. There will be sharp edges on the tang and bolster areas usually; a little sandpaper will take care of that issue. The Artifex has nicely rounded spine/choil areas. The DP, Fujiwara and Hiromoto seem to need some work in this area OOTB. I haven't tried a Suisin yet, so I can't comment on that one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:12 pm 

AEB-L edge holding just as good as vg10? better?
Ill try the Artifex soon, with the hirmoto ginsan as my back up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

I find the AEB-L is easier to sharpen (and deburr!) and holds a finer edge for a longer time period than VG-10.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:12 am 

The artifex is great steel for the price. IMO it needs thinning out the box and handle is on the small side. I'm sure one can be bought with a larger handle. It holds an edge for weeks in a pro kitchen.

Suisin inox has wooden handle which is nice. sharpens easily too. It stands up very well in a pro environment too. I'm not 100% sure if its stain free (altough any knife can rust). F&F is great from Suisin. Not much needed out the box. Great value here.

Have not tried the others, though I'm not a fan of VG-10. Sharpening can be more difficult for inexperienced sharpeners. May detract from the knife's appeal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Of the bunch, ehhh, flip a coin. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]