It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Takeda Bano Bunka
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

1. What are its intended uses? It looks like a Santoku, but it has an inverted sharp point??
2. Are the core and claddings all stainless, or is there carbon steel subject to rust?
3. What is the finish, e.g. hammered, Damascus, mirror oldish, carbon steel black?

Many thanks,

Gary

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Takeda Bano Bunka
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gary,

This is a general purpose knife similar to a Santoku but with a cool and aggressive tip.

No, this is a carbon steel knife with reactive iron cladding. The knife has a thin coat of lacquer on it to keep it from rusting but that will eventually wear off. To care for this knife simply use it, wash it and wipe it dry.

The knife is hammered out and has what is called a kurouchi finish which is what the black stuff is on the blade. It has an elemental hand made look to the knife.

They're really good knives and I encourage you to give one a try. Shosui Takeda and his small shop do excellent work and they're unique.

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Takeda Banno Bunka
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:54 pm 

Tks, Mark for the quick reply. Help, anyone.

For vegetable, potato and fruit chopping, I'm debating ordering from CNTG between this sharp nose Takeda (second imperfect) Banno Bunko 160mm 6.3", the Shun Priemier Damscus Hammered 5.5" 140mm Nakiri, or the Sakei Takayuki 180mm 7" Damascus Nakiri.

I realize the Takeda is carbon steel with a lacquer finish and the others are stainless.

Can anyone help me with impressions, advice or reviews? Which is the most visually appealing; which the best in action?

Disclaimer: Yes, I am a n00b and have only been studying a week. I am an amateur home gourmet cook. Morever, Westhof Classic and Henkels are the best I own. I have a Shun 6" hollowed chef's knife on order. I use a Chef's Choice 130 three stage electric sharpener and a Henkels steel rod. I've ordered a ceramic rod @ 1200 grit and think I need to buy and learn to use a 1000/4000 combo whetstone, or else send the knives in to be sharpened as needed.

TIA,
Gary

Post subject: Re: Takeda Bano Bunka
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Visually appealing is so personal....but I prefer the Takeda's kurouchi finish to the others.

Never used the Sakai nakiri, and the Shun nakiri is just too short.....the Takeda would have to be the best in action based on my experience.

I would avoid using that Chef's Choice on a Takeda unless my life depended on it. You'll definitely need stones of some kind if the Takeda is the direction you go.

p.s. Here is another option:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moao2na16.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]