It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:44 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Home cook $400 budget for a gyuto.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hello there,

My name is Dave from Sydney Australia.

I am in the market for a wa-gyuto to arrive by christmas and then a petty later on. I have only recently begun researching japanese knives and could use some guidance. I apologise for all the length of this enquiry, I will try to give you as much information as I can.

The maximum i wish to spend on the gyuto is $400 but if there was an option slightly higher i may be able to stretch it.

I am only a home cook however I want a nice piece to replace my current chef knife. I think 240mm would be perfect length for me. I am concerned about chipping and damage and I like some weight to a knife so I would not like to go down the laser path. I really want a tough all rounder that will last me a long time.

I am relatively inexperienced with waterstone sharpening but I intend on picking it up before the knife arrives. I have a 1000 and 6000 stone and intend on purchasing a ceramic rod. I will also have the knife occasionally touched up professionally. I want the knife to be sharp out of the box and ready to use without any additional work so if this cannot be done by the supplier do you offer that service?

Aesthetically I do not like damascus patterns unless it is very mild. I would like some flash to the knife though and I particularly like one with a visible Harmon wave. I also like the look of polished blades but am happy with plain finish. I am not a fan of the black finish. I do not mind a knife that will patina but I do not intend on wiping the knife constantly so perhaps a semi stainless or stainless clad is a good option? As I said before a Wa handle is preferred and I am right handed. I would also like a saya with this knife.

With all the above points I am thinking that a knife with Aogami super steel (so i do not need to sharpen as often) core and a stainless or semi stainless cladding would be ideal for me. Are there any drawbacks with a san-mai style knife? I have read people saying that they feel bad to use however I am only a home cook so will I notice the difference?

Of course you will know better what types of steel will suite my requirements and hopefully recommend some to me.

I was hoping that you would be able to give me a short list of the top knives you have available that would be suitable for me and then I can check them out and order one shortly.

Thank you for your help, I hope to do business with you soon.

Sincerely

Dave

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Home cook $400 budget for a gyuto.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

Here's my suggestion for you:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdkigy24we.html

It's very sharp out of the box and it's a beautiful knife with great looks, excellent handle and top shelf fit and finish. The steel is excellent, semi stainless and it sharpens easily. It's also in your price range.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:23 am 

Thank you for your suggestion Mark. I will take it into consideration.

If anybody else has any suggestions that may meet some of my requirements or any tips for me please let me know, I want to explore a number of possibilities before I settle.

Thank You,

Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, first, in order to get a hamon, you need a carbon knife (yeah, anyone reading this that knows stainless can be differentially HT'd knows it exceedingly rare) so I don't think that's something you should go after based on your wants/needs.

The Kono HD is a great knife.

You said wa, but the Hiromoto AS is right up your alley based on your description too.

The clad knives can feel a bit different, but unless you have one of each side by side or use them a lot, I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Another choice may be a Kanehiro AS clad in SS gyuto. Wa handle, 240mm is in the low $300's or so. Like Adam said, the hamon line is front a differential heat treat. However, the AS clad in stainless like the Kanehiro and Hiromoto AS line will have the core steel Patina and there will be a lamination line that looks pretty cool between the dark, patina of the core steel and the bright/shiny stainless.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ka24wa.html
Doh, just saw that it's out of stock :( Not sure if there is a saya for it or not?

Being in Australia, you may want to order everything at once to save on the shipping?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]