It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Are takayuki hammered damascus really hammered?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hello There,

I was wondering if these knives: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadahasa18.html

Were handmade? What I mean by handmade is really spring hammer forged and hand forged vs. being spewn out of a machine and then just polished by hand. Also is this is a Stainless steel? What other knives do you have that are Stainless Damascus Santoku that are hand or spring hammer forged for around this price? Let me know!

Kind Regards,

Danie

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Are takayuki hammered damascus really hammered?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

No these are made in a factory so it's not a little blacksmith banging them out.
I'm really not sure what they do to make the hammer marks but the steel usually is supplied in blanks with the damascus cladding already done by a jobber.

These are stainless.

For that price you are not going to get much in the way of stainless, hand made knives in the way I assume you are asking. There are some cheaper carbon blades that you might consider like the Moritakas.

Richmond Laser

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]