It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upgrading from German stuff.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

I'm considering purchasing another knife for my kitchen and seeking some advice. I'm an avid home cook and also work part time at a local restaurant, so I do have some experience using decent quality knives. At home I use a couple of Henckel 8" chef's knives, which I like; at work a Messermeister 10" chef's knife.

In all events, since I've been researching online a number of Japanese knives have come to my attention--the Masamoto KS series as well as the Konosuke HD--but I've have no experience using them. I don't know whether these knives are over the top for the home cook, but I'm looking to upgrade from the Henckel's. Maybe there is an intermediate knife that would fit the bill. Any thoughts?

Your Richmond Ultimatum and Laser series also look very nice. Again any info. that you could send my way would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Keith

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Upgrading from German stuff.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Keith,

The Masamoto KS is a carbon steel knife. It's a good knife but carbon is a deal breaker in my house since my wife like to let our kitchen knives drip dry and they rust.

The Konosuke HD is one of my favorites on the site. It's thin, the steel is hard and the grinds are excellent. Very light knife compared to what you have and I'll bet you will love it once you try it. It's also fairly stainless so you really only need to wipe it dry after use and you shouldn't get any rust on it. It may darken a bit but that's no problem.

My knife has the same shape as the Masamoto and the steel is good stainless called 19C27. It's has more of a slicer vibe to it since it's a bit shorter. It's also a little thicker with more convexing so for doesn't stick to it. It's also the least amount of money. I'm out of them at the moment but I'll have more on Monday.

The Laser is very similar to the HD with a nicer handle and it uses AEB-L which is an excellent stainless steel. The knife is good but I'm out of stock.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]