It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need stainless fish knife
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:43 am 

Recently discovered CKTG and The attendant knives.

Have purchased a few knives and am loving them.. Had nice old carbon Sabatiers along with some custom saw blade knives. Always liked hacking away with my Forschners too.

These knives are a whole 'nother deal as they say.

Can sharpen some with a little skill on EP with many stones ,tape,rods,and a strop...

I fish some and have a Keys house. Not cutting any bones but would like a SS knife I can keep really sharp.. Have all the Forschners, Kershaw, even a Wusthof... I can tooth those up to get them to work, but if there is a knife like these other ones I have recently purchased I would buy one.

Price is not really an issue but straight carbon would be tough in this application...

Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Need stainless fish knife
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Tojiro has a 155mm stainless Deba for under $50. I have one I got for saltwater inshore species (fluke, stripers, blackfish, etc) but I haven't gotten to try it out. Takes a nice edge though! Most Japanese knives are harder and will hold a sharper edge longer than most normal fillet knives.

What species/sizes are you working with? A Mioroshi Deba may be a better choice if you are doing bigger fish, but most I have seen that I can afford are carbon steel. I picked up a 240mm carbon mioroshi Deba for $105 recently.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:09 am 
Site Admin

A good deba will serve you well and a good one will get plenty sharp. Try the ginsan stainless one by Kaneshige. They are excellent hand made knives at a reasonable price.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:56 am 

OK, will give one a try... May take a big knife and a smaller knife..

To answer the fish question, Snapper,Grouper, different size Mackerel, Blackfin Tuna, and Dolphin (Mahi, not Flipper)....

Thanks for the advice..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Ok, you will probably want one longer than 155mm then :) Love Mahi Mahi!!! Haven't had snapper and grouper yet. Maybe look for a 210mm size? I find the extra size comes in handy with the bigger fish.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

A 210mm deba is a monster though....my humble recommendation would be for the 180mm length.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]