It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kikuichi TKC or Gold Elite Damascus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I’ve been looking at Gyuto’s on your site for some time now. Having a bit of a difficult time making a decision as this will be my first j-knife. I think I’ve narrowed down the search to Kikuichi. Either the Performance TKC or the Gold Elite Damascus (240mm). I see all kinds of good reviews and forums generally liking the TKC, but I can’t find anything on the Damascus. The Damascus certainly appears to be a gorgeous knife and is said to be the “top of the line” on your site. With either knife, I would invest in either an Edge Pro or find a place to sharpen them (correctly). Which brings me to my next question, do these have a 50/50 bevel (Right or left hand users)? I will be cutting veggies and meats (if I cut through bone I’ll pull out the Henckels) on my Boos block at home and I just want an awesome and crazy sharp Gyuto to last me forever. I don’t like buying introduction items and moving up if I don’t have to. Although I will take care of the knife with wiping it dry and so-forth after use, I also value stain resistance. With that being said, would the Kikuichi Damascus be more stain resistant and as sharp or sharper out of the box than the TKC? Is either one better once professionally sharpened? Would either one need to be “opened up”. Obviously I like the Damascus appearance, but I don’t want to get it if the performance is like or worse than the TKC.

Thanks,

Jarrett

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Kikuichi TKC or Gold Elite Damascus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jarrett,

Both the TKC and the Warikomi Damascus are excellent knives. I have to say I've been slowly won over to wa handled knives. They're light and I just like them way better these days so I would recommend you try these: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kikuichi1.html

AEB-L steel is good stainless steel and the knives are beautiful. Nice handles. I like them a lot. The reason you havene't seen much talk about them is they're a new line so there are not that many people that own them.

Both knives are sharpened basically evenly. Once you sharpen it the knife will conform to the angle you impart on the knife so don't worry too much about that.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Kikuichi TKC or Gold Elite Damascus
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

I would go with the TKC. Nothing against the Gold Elite, but my heart is with the TKC. Just a great knfie.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]