It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:52 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for opinions on Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:26 am 

Love the site, been lurking a while reading all the threads...

Anyway, I'm looking at a couple of 240mm gyutos, and would like to know what you all think about each one of them:
Fujiwara FKM
Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef Western
Konosuke HH Western
Suisin Inox

Background:
I'm currently learning my knife skills, and currently using a 8" Victorinox Forschner with a Fibrox handle that I like the grip but it feels scratchy to me. I will be picking up the 5 piece sharpening water stone set (I have some experience sharpening pocket knives on oil stones with guides) as well to support what I assume will soon become an addiction.

I am left handed, looking for a western handle, stainless, and push cut. When I first started with my Forschner, it seemed long at first, but now I think it's a bit on the short side. My preferred budget is below $200.

This would be my first J-knife, and I would have gone straight for the FKM (I hear it has good ergonomics, good intro knife), but I'm wondering instead of upgrading a few months later I should just pay the extra $$ now and skip a tier.

Which brings me to my second choice, the Grand Chef. From what I have read, it a great metal with a good fit and finish (though the metal isn't hardened as much as other J-knives). The reason I'm looking at it is because my professionally trained cook friend (who has never worked on the line after graduating) felt that the handle on the Artifex would be uncomfortable after a while. I have read on other forums that the Grand Chef is over priced and would be cheaper if bought in Japan.

It seems that Konosuke has quite a following as well, though choosing the HH over the HD is a tradeoff between ease of sharpening and stain resistance. And I can't remember why the Suisin made my short list. :p

I'm thinking of sticking to single steel knives because I read that cladded knives feel slightly different on stones. I have also read that VG-10 like on the Tojiro can be chippy (especially for someone who hasn't gotten proper technique). No carbon because I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of commitment (yet). I'll be keeping my Forschner around as my beater knife.

All in all, the Grand Chef looks very very tempting.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Looking for opinions on Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

I hate to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion....but if you've got a sub $200 budget...the Hiromoto AS is one of the best knives on the planet.

It's got a carbon core, but it's clad in stainless so maintenance isn't the typical carbon deal.

Great, great value.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:00 pm 

Hmmm, would acidic foods react with the edge or it isn't a worry once a patina develops?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:09 pm 

Looking at it again, I think a Hiromoto would be better only after OCKSD kicks in. :p
But it is on my "knives to get later" short list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Wubu wrote:Hmmm, would acidic foods react with the edge or it isn't a worry once a patina develops?

Yes, the exposed aogami super steel on the edge will patina and rust if you don't keep it dry. If you're concerned about it they offer a Ginsan (good stainless steel) version of the knife that is excellent as well.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

PS the Grand Chef is a good knife. AEB-L is an excellent steel and it will provide you with years of worry free service.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:08 am 

The Hiromoto is strongly right-biased, and the OP is left handed.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]