It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a slicer/yanagi.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi mark

First of all I would like to thank you for your great service and professionalism.

I finally ordered and received a Konosuke HD Gyuto 24cm and a Moritaka Petty 15 cm and as a first step in high quality knives, I must confess that I m really impressed and happy with them

So, yes, now I would like to get a kind of slicer that could be used for slicing meat and occasionally fish for sashimi’s (twice per month)

I was thinking of getting either the Moritaka Yanagiba 270mm, Konosuke HH Wa-Sujihiki 270mm or Kikuichi Carbon Yanagi Sashimi 270mm.

What the best choice according to you ? On the one hand, I really love the moritaka petty style, but in the other hand, it might be interesting to try other brand than sticking in the same one when you start ? If you see any other better choice, please let me know.

Another question, I m looking for a stone for flattening my 1k/4k and 8k stones. I have read that Diamond one like the 140 Grit Diamond you re selling is a better choice than any other water stone but unfortunately this one is out of stock. Do you have something in stock that could do the same job for a reasonable price ?

Last question. Which stone would you recommend for creating the burr on my old and dull knives (Sabatier 2 Lions for example). Is a 400 a good choice ? Would I be able to use them on my new knives (moritaka petty, Konosuke HD Gyuto and hopefully a slicer/yanagiba) ? or this is too rough and I should only use a 1000 ?

Thanks a lot for your time and your precious help. My credit card is ready and just waiting for your advices.

BTW, do you have any membership or loyalty program ? I believe that I m going quite a loyal customer

Kind regards

Julien

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a slicer/yanagi.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:48 pm 

Don't buy a Yanagiba unless you are ready to put in some real time learning to sharpen it. It is a totally different thing. I'd go with a Sujihiki, but if you want to learn to sharpen Kataba knives, a Yanagiba is a fun way to get into it.

As for cutting a new bevel in on the Sabs, you can just use your 1k, it'll just take a bit more time. This is not a big deal though since you are just doing it once, and it'll help build muscle memory. There is not really any reason a home cook needs a sharpening stone under 1k, unless you consider sharpening an end unto itself.

The thing with flattening plates is that they are expensive, but you only buy them once. You can use them to fix tips and chips, too, since they cut fast and stay flat. The DMT XXC is in stock right now. The Atoma is my favorite, but the DMT will totally work--the only difference between it and the Atoma, you will never notice unless you own both of them(cuts a tiny bit faster, loads less, and doesn't stick as much to stones), so basically you won't know what you are missing. DMT continuous diamond plates are satisfactory indeed unless you are sharpening professionally.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with Eamon. Try a suji unless you have a spefic need or interest in a yanagi.

The Moritaka is actually a sujihikik. It's ground on both sides even though they call it a yanagi. I think this would be a fine choice for you.

The DMT plates are the most popular plates on our site for flattening. They're more money than the cheap ones but they're also biggerl flatter and will last longer. We have them here:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtextracoarse.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:47 pm 

Hi

Thanks for your answers !

I will definitely go for a DMT D8XX but not before next month. It s a bit expensive.
I will try using sand paper 180 if I feel the need of flattening my 1k until then :)

So, form your point of view, buying smething like a Choosera or Bester #400/#500/#600 is not needed and I would be able to go directly from the DMT to the 1k ?

Regarding the Sujihikik, I have just seen in another thread that you were also recommending these knives without talking about Moritaka at all ...

- Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Sujihiki
- Takeda Yanagiba AS
- Konosuke White #2 Steel Sujihiki

is Moritaka the best choice for my needs ? What are the differences between tham that someone who is not much experienced can feel ?

thanks for all !
Julien

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:06 pm 

I wouldn't use sandpaper to flatten the stone--just wait for the plate. Unless your stone is very visibly dished, you don't have much to worry about. A laser-flat stone is not a requirement at all. The diamond plate is more about cleaning the stone and wearing down the edges evenly. Eventually, your sharpening skill gets to a place where you don't need to flatten your stones--they are flattened as you use them.

You can go from the DMT to a 1k stone just fine. I would suggest you use the highest grit for the job, so use the 1k to cut new edges in, and if you end really sick of it, then switch to the diamond plate. Don't use a hammer to swat a fly.

Of the slicers you mentioned, I think the best for a you would be the Konosuke or the Takeda. The Konosuke will be easier to get very sharp, and the Takeda will be easier to maintain over a long period of time.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]