It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Moving to Japan
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:49 pm 

Recently got into quality chef knives (all have been ordered through Mark so far) and found out that I'm moving to Japan. I'll be close to Tokyo, so I plan on stopping by the Tsukiji fish market and whatever other places I can find and grab what I can while I'm there.

Looking to get a couple of customs too. :) Just wanted to say hi and share the excitement!

Nino

Post subject: Re: Moving to Japan
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:11 am 
Forum Moderator

NINO <> I am quite envious of you, sir. Enjoy your new home, enjoy the food, enjoy the women (looking at least considering the culture), enjoy the technology & culture, enjoy the weather, enjoy the steel, enjoy!

I have often considered, seemingly much more often as of late, moving to Asia. My dog is a huge stumbling block in the plan though...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:27 am 

Your mind will be blown on how many knife shops there are in tsukiji. There are a lot of knife shops in Asakusa as well. Sad thing is they al kind of look the same. At least the ones in tsukiji.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:37 am 

Good luck!!

Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:45 am 

would love to move to japan also. for the food, the ladies and the knives! lol.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:48 am 

I'd love to just visit Japan, maybe someday. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:07 am 

I'm envious your having the opportunity to live in Japan. I have always wanted to live there.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 pm 

My ship pulled into Tokyo and Sasebo Japan once and to this day, after 35 years of travel it is the most memorable port visit of my career.
I remember these events the most:
1. A friend left a bag of cash, $1,200 on a bench while waiting for train to get back to the ship, he had gone to make some purchases for some guys who could not leave the ship so he forgot their money and 3 expensive cameras in an open bag. In a panic he went to the Embassy, the lady told him "just go back and get it tomorrow". After a sleepless night he did just that and the bag/money/cameras were still there.
2. I was in McDonalds in Tokyo and watched in awe at the professionalism of the staff and I just happened to notice a person (tourist) walk by outside on the sidewalk and drop a cigarette butt on the ground. A young fella behind the counter, literally ran outside of the restaurant, went and picked up the butt and brought it inside to dispose of it and then resumed his vigilance behind the counter.
3. I was invited to attend an event on Japanese ship, it was the most sterile environment I've ever been in, even the brass firefighting equipment on the upper decks gleamed and this ship was just at sea with us the day before.

Peter

Peter

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 pm 

Thank you all for the good wishes. I'm looking forward to it. I've also found some great camera stores I plan to frequent.

I have my family watching my cat, so I understand about the pet issue. I'd rather she stay here in the states anyways.

From the pictures I've seen, all the knives do look very similar. Either way, I'll figured out a way to tell them apart. :-D

Nino

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

NINO <> May I ask how is it you, "found out that I'm moving to Japan."? I don't mean to pry, but how did this happen?

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next