It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rust and Patina: Please Help!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:57 pm 

So I'm having trouble with my new Kato.

Upon receiving it, it got a nice natural patina forming, and then I put it away for a week or so and when I brought it back out, there was rust on it. So I polished it off as best I could, forced a new patina this time, and used it a couple times to help it 'set'. Then, same thing, a few days left lying down and it's got some rust streaks/spots developing. Did I just not sufficiently set the patina? The rust seems to be growing on top of the patina which seems odd and the knife is stored the same as all my other blades and those don't have any issues. Though this ordeal has made me realize that most of my knives have some bit of cladding or KU finish as I'm not used to dealing with this stuff, the 2nd most reactive knife I have after this one is Kono Fuji Blue 2 which is a fairly reactive knife but again, that one has no problems after setting a patina, and under the current method of storage.

This is the best shot I could get of the rusty streak because from most angles it just blends into the patina. It's the orange streak just up and left from my index finger.

This is one from a different angle where it doesn't even look like rust, but it's there, just to the right of that top section of blue patina, starting roughly at the latitude of the OralB mark there.

So, what should I do? I like pattern I got on this patina and would like to salvage that if possible, but will start again if need be.
And if that's what I should do, how do I keep this from happening again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Rust and Patina: Please Help!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:01 pm 

Hey JVJ, I had the same thing happen with my Kato 210 when I first bought it (albeit during a humid NYC summer). The issue occurred when I was away for about 5 days and had left the knife in an old block. Where the blade had made contact with presumably damp/moldy wood, there was clear oxidization. Even after removing the rust and patina with Wright's, I noticed the same spots were prone to accelerated oxidization. I sent the knife in to Ken to fix some dumbass sharpening mistakes I'd made. He thinned the knife slightly and since then, I've had no problems whatsoever. I've also not experienced any such problems with my 240. I think once oxidization occurs, unless it is completely removed (at the microscopic level), it will be more prone to oxidize rapidly in the same spots. The cladding is definitely reactive, but over time, with some oiling here and there, reactivity isn't an issue for me at all. My suggestion would be to have the knife ever so slightly refinished by a pro to make sure all the points of oxidization are removed, then use and store the knife as per usual, but with some sporadic oiling.
Aside from that issue, how are you enjoying the blade?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:40 am 

The same happened several times to one of my Kato's as well. I rubbed it with BKF a few times and it has since subsided. It sounds like a common issue with this steel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:59 am 

Chip, aside from this issue, I'm loving it. In fact, if I weren't so keen on the blade I'd consider just selling it off... But much like others have said, something magic in that grind and I'm enjoying the heft more than I ever thought I would.

Glad to know it's not just me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:05 am 

You can rub it down with a non scratch scotch brite pad and baking soda. I think non scratch is like blue or pink or something. if not use a wine cork in place of the pad.

do that like everytime you clean it for a week. you should be good after that.

or force patina on entire blade if you like the looks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]