It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Suita?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:16 am 

What natural stones do you prefer for pre polish on yanagiba? I'm looking at a full size suita around level 2.5 to 3. The yanagi is Damascus clad if that matters. I'm not looking to polish hagane as much as creating a uniform pattern on the jigane and lamination line.
If you could help me find a suitable nakado or shiagto I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Suita?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:52 pm 

I have not had the chance to try a suita yet but would like too. I have used a Ozuku, Ozuku asagi, ohira tomae, and a Awasedo stone that was much too hard. The Ozuku and ohira were two that worked well, they were soft enough and a nice mud could be formed with both stones. The Ohira from Mark produced a excellent kasumi finish that was better than most stones I have tried.

I'm sure as long as the stone is somewhat softer it would do well.

Gotta a link to the stone?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:23 am 

Yeah!
I PM the link

As I understand, stones from the Tamba district are second in quality to those found in Nakayama Mine, and Oozuku Mine. This particular stone is for some reason fairly inexpensive. Leads me to believe it is a lower quality suita that may have some inclusions or hard sections of stone mixed in.
I have used the asagi stones too. They are really too hard for this application.

Most of my searches for suita layers of stone seem to be a little more expensive than other types. I have not used a suita either. I would assume they have superior finish on jigane being a softer stone and all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:38 pm 

Lol, same stone and same dealer. Didn't realize it was a suita.

In my experience it's probably the $1k and up stones that are the real show stoppers. I'm sure stones in the $200-300 range are worth the price but I've seen it where the $50 stone was better than the $150 stone so in the end it's almost luck of the draw. As long as it has the right qualities (hardness, fineness, etc) for the knife to be sharpened your probably in good shape.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:47 pm 

Thanks for the help. I feel more confident about a purchase now.

I don't know any other place that uses the 1-5 scale for stone attributes. That may have given it away ;) as much as I would like a really nice stone, I can't justify $1k stone. My girl would kill me. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:45 pm 

Yes, I like the grading system used as it gives you a much better ides of what is being purchased. I would like to hear your thoughts after you get some use with your new stone if you don't mind?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:47 pm 

First impressions -
It certainly is a soft stone. Water absorption is definitly present. Sharpening is very soft and creamy feel to it. The best part so far- none if the lines are toxic. :D yay
The cutting speed is somewhat slow. Which is alright for it's intended purpose which is polishing jigane. Finish is fantastic. Very bright and hazy jigane with a cloudy finish on the hagane. Great contrast. It works up a ton of mud which aids in an even, uniform finish.

Hideriyama stones are sometimes thought to be too soft to effectively sharpen hard steel. Not the case with this stone. IIRC the white suita is the lowest layer in the quarry and may be hard enough to be an effective sharpener/polisher. Maybe Ken could chime in and drop some knowledge on me. ;)

More to come after I've had some more time to play around with it some more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:09 am 

Thanks for the impressions!

Only thing missing is pictures :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:16 am 

Here they are...

Some pics of the stone

Last edited by atang on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:56 am 

The stone has specks of grey and black swirled through it. All the pics so far have no swarf on them and the stone is clean.

I started with a Nubatama 1K

Then on to the green brick

Worked up some mud on the suita.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next