It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening thick knives
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:18 am 

Jason:

I really enjoyed your videos sharpening the Becker BK9. Feel like I picked up a few tips.

Is it your take that knives like that one need to be thinned out at the edge to really get a crisp edge? I ask because you spend a lot of time on the 180 stone.

I have gotten into a few knives like these and have struggled. I have an ontario sp1 and my brother has an ontario 498, basically ontario's two usmc knives. First it's my believe that ontarios come with some of the worst ground bevels in the knife industry. Second it too multiple attempts on each to get a truly sharp edge. Im wondering if I only got a sharp edge when I had spent enough time on my chosera 400 to thin the bevel (and even it out).

Will probably snag a BK9 at some point as well. Maybe it's time I jumped for the bamboo 150?

Post subject: Re: Sharpening thick knives
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:00 am 

The 180 was not cutting the steel that well in the video, looking back on my usage of that stone it was better on stainless anyways. The 150 bamboo would have done it a lot faster. IMO, all knives need to be thinned, take off a few degrees of any factory grind and the knife will show noticeable improvements in sharpness and edge retention.

Kabar also performs a kick ass heat treatment on their 1095cv which can make it very time consuming to grind. It can sometimes have you scratching your head wondering why it's taking so long, setting that base is important though and if not done correctly the end results will suffer.

I agree on all counts and then some with Ontario, not a big fan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:45 am 

Yea, I think Ontario makes some tough, heavy duty knives, but they just utterly ignore the sharpening station. Some seriously uneven grinds. Except the RAT folders, because apparently the Taiwanese source of them doesn't ignore the sharpening station like their American counterparts.

But yes I found thinning out the angle of even my Kershaw 18 inch camp knife to seriously improve it's performance chopping. And oddly that was way easier than the seven inch Ontarios. It's just a lot of effort with a 400 grit. Guess I'll have to start saving for the 150 bamboo, cus I've come to really enjoy outdoor knives.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:45 pm 

If you don't have a atoma 140 then I might suggest that first.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:21 pm 

Have a DMT XXC and have made use of it for this purpose. I just don't like sharpening on diamond plates all that much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:45 pm 

I had a XXC too and find the atoma to be much better, actually feels like sharpening on a stone. Once you get a bamboo 150 you will need the atoma anyways, works much better at flattening the 150 than the XXC.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]