It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:15 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Toys!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:37 pm 

Some years ago I had a cool little USB microscope that allowed me to get a whole new perspective for the sharpened edge. It was short lived though as it landed in a bucket of water while turned on (if falling into water was not bad enough) and to no real surprise never worked again.

I had a recent discussion that sparked my interest in micrographs again so I hopped on flea bay and ordered a cheap USB Microscope. It said 1000x but in reality it's probably closer to 300x, still enough to get a good up close look at the sharpened edge. I was hoping for better picture quality but I will just wait until I buy a real microscope :ugeek:

For now, I will use it to compare scratch patterns and see how my current edge is looking. Here are a few photos I took testing it out.

And my Spyderco Delica in Hap40, sharpened with the SG500 and SG2000

Post subject: Re: New Toys!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:56 pm 

Id like to get some sort of microscope to look at my edges.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:42 am 

They are fairly cheap but I would suggest looking for an HD scope, the images will be much clearer. It can be a great teaching tool too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:35 pm 

cutu wrote:Id like to get some sort of microscope to look at my edges.

--------
That is a neat toy for sure.

The "real" quality ones are expensive and you need a precise stand to hold the knife steady esp. at higher magnification. Even then, focusing is a challenge as the knife is not flat so just some of the field-of-view (FOV) is focused and that assuming the glass has no distortion. Add to that the challenges of photographing it and getting the light right and color correct and polarizing to reduce reflection, etc. Ken details some of the challenges in this post: post137574.html#p137574

Practically speaking, a quality 7-10x loupe is really all you need to use while sharpening. There really is no substitute for good glass either. Beyond 10x it is difficult to hold steady and the FOV is reduced.

IF you are curious a small pocket microscope @60x will give you a very closeup view. I have one and for $14 is worth getting (recommended) but using a loupe is better suited to sharpening IMO.

The image below is a 15x view of an edge taken through a loupe with iPhone 5s.
What does the image tell you?
The image is of a Gassan blue #2 steel edge sharpened to a 15k Shapton then finished on a Hakka natural stone. To the naked eye the edge is a shiny mirror reflected in the sun with enough tooth to bite tomatoes or peppers skins without sliding, a very fine edge indeed, the complex edge off a natural (compare with the previous Shapton images).

The wonders of a small world...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:16 pm 

I use a 30x in front of my IPhone often, works very well but the microscope goes way further... helps to know what you are looking for/at too, otherwise it's just another micrograph.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]