It is currently Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nubatama Mail Call Nakiris and Ryobas
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nubatama knives Here are some pictures of some Nubatama knives that just came in. Two of them are nakiris with a kurouchi claddings, one customized with additional personal Kanji engraved on the opposite side of the knife for the owner and the other with only the 'Nubatama' Kanji on the blade. These are black steel knives.

DougsNakiri1.jpg
DougsNakiri1.jpg [ 212.7 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

DougsNakiri5.jpg
DougsNakiri5.jpg [ 695.91 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

DougsNakiri7.jpg
DougsNakiri7.jpg [ 144.73 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

DougsNakiri9.jpg
DougsNakiri9.jpg [ 201.68 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

DougsNakiri10.jpg
DougsNakiri10.jpg [ 331.25 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

Nubatama Ryoba (double beveled gyuto) also came in. These are the stainless clad blades, also with black steel cores. Three of these came in and two are going to CKTG!

ryoba1a.jpg
ryoba1a.jpg [ 189.65 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

ryoba1c.jpg
ryoba1c.jpg [ 182.89 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

ryoba3b.jpg
ryoba3b.jpg [ 272.85 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

ryoba1f.jpg
ryoba1f.jpg [ 112.5 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

ryoba1g.jpg
ryoba1g.jpg [ 270.54 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

I saw feedback on this forum reviewing Nubatama knives regarding the choil area, stating that customers thought the choil finish was 'rough' so more attention and detail for the finishing of this area was paid on this and future batches.

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

Post subject: Re: Nubatama Mail Call Nakiris and Ryobas
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:07 pm 

Cool knives for sure! I hear that the edge retention is pretty good for the black steel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:16 am 

What is black steel?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:49 am 

Yep what is a Black Steel...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Like any number of knifemakers, but certainly not all, The Nubatama knifemaker has kept this information proprietary. Yes this is frustrating to steel junkies, but consider the fact that even two vendors making white steel knives can get very different results. Try to get the details of HOW they temper and forge their blades and you don't get answers to these questions. The Nubatama knifemaker DOES make [excellent] white and blue steel knives at a lower cost, but his black steel formulation is proprietary. I don't know the formulation so I can't disclose it. This certainly makes for a tougher sale on my part.

Consider this from the knifemaker's perspective. You open up the kimono to reveal all and guess what happens? Another knifemaker immediately begins duplicating your product. Now if they are a larger company you may be undercut and pushed out of business and wind up working FOR the larger company and paid a pittance for your work and nothing for your efforts to come up with the initial product.

I have run into this problem with MANY products that I have introduced to the market, so I have full sympathies for the knifemaker in this regard. It's no fun seeing others making profit from your IP when you are unable to defend it. But it can and usually does happen.

What I can say about the steel comes from my experience with it and the experience of my customers and what I can share. It is a steel that develops a patina, so it is not stainless. Edge retention is exceptionally high. It is far easier to sharpen than your high vanadium steels, so the combination of edge retention and easy sharpenability makes it exceptional. If you like sharpening your knife everyday, this is not the knife for you :) It holds up very well in a commercial or home environment. It takes natural stone and synthetic stone edges quite well, as well as responding to CBN compounds. I rarely do more than stropping the edge typically at 0.75 microns or 24000 grit. If I touch it up I rarely go below a 15k Nubatama stone. The original 'factory edge' is done by a sword polisher, who also does the custom engraving, using natural stones to produce the edge. I have been told that Rockwell hardness testing produced values of HRC 64 and that the forging process requires higher temperatures and more precise control than what is required for Hitachi white or blue steels.

Hope this information helps.

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:27 pm 

Us forumites have been making sport of poor Ken and the Black Steel for years. It should have gotten old by now... But it never does!!! :lol:

Seriously, Ken's post is his best so far at explaining the situation. Some day even I may need to fold and try out a gyuto.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

You're right, Rick :) It's a real hurdle to get people to try it, but uniformly when they do they are impressed with the steel's capability. Thanks for your understanding.

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:50 pm 

Rick;

It'll happen.

That's my new Nakiri

Douglas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Doug, the custom Kanji on your knife, pronounced 'Sue' translates as 'Essential Rain' referencing the wish for the health of rain on your crops (food). A nice sentiment for a knife used to prepare food. Given the lack of rain here in California where I live the essential aspects of rain are all to familiar to us here who are waiting for our essential rain to come.

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

"Some day even I may need to fold and try out a gyuto. "

Start thinking of what custom Kanji you might want on your knife :)

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next