It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening as a gift
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:36 am 

Hi, I sharpen for several restaurants and a few in particular treat me very nicely, they seem appreciative of my goal to keep their knives sharp. As a token of my appreciation and as a potential means to motivate junior cooks I have an idea.

I'm going to ask the Sous Chef to select an individual that he deems as someone who is keen to look after his/her knives, someone who at least understands the importance of using a sharp knife. Once a month the chosen one will have his/her knives sharpened by me for free.
The idea is eventually to have each individual receive the benefit. I don't want to generate any jealousy scenarios or anything negative.

Then, once every 6 months or 4 months, one individual would receive a free knife that I would provide. One of these restaurants has 20 cooks learning the ropes. I don't know how this idea will be received, it could trigger some discontent which I wouldn't want.

Do you guys, ( I know many of you are in the industry) see any problems with either of these ideas?

Thanks, your opinions are important to me.

Also, I would work with the Sous Chef on this, he would be the guy giving the knife to the person, not me. I would supply the knife but as their mentor I think it is most appropriate coming from him.
Peter

Post subject: Re: Sharpening as a gift
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:28 am 
Forum Moderator

I am not in the industry, so no comments there, but I commend the thought, it is noble & implemented correctly I reckon can only bode well.

Nice one Peter!

:)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:15 pm 

I'm always running across statement like (from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/1 ... 02593.html)

"A study by online career site Glassdoor revealed that more than 80 percent of employees say they're motivated to work harder when their boss shows appreciation for their work, compared to less than 40 percent who are inspired to work harder when their boss is demanding or because they fear losing their job."

Targeted to the "knife interested" employes, you are offering a huge freebie for the Sous Chef. But, as you have planned, the Sous Chef needs to get all the credit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

You're a good man, Peter. That seems like a nice incentive, even removing the free knives from the equation. Maybe do a trial knife or two that the chosen cook could use for a month or two instead of a free knife. I don't know if you need to go that far with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 pm 

Thanks all. Yes I will give the free knife idea some more thought. I have a hidden agenda with that as well. I thought some exposure to something like a Yuki would be quite thrilling to someone who is use to working with a very small collection of Victorionox with his prize knife being a Global. I see this very often here
So the person suddenly has a beautiful knife to work with. Eventually everyone wants one and they go to CKtG to order them. (With much encouragement by me of course)

In time, I have 20 Yuki, Takeda's, Konosuke's to sharpen. They are in slicing and dicing heaven and I'm in sharpening paradise.

It could happen :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 pm 

I can't give any advice here but I just want to say that it is nice to run across people such as yourself Peter that is willing to give a little of yourself for the benefit of others. Not a trait to often found in many anymore. I hope this works out and is something inspirational to others involved.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 am 

Really nice of you to do this. I suspect it will be received well.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]